Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7 Software Question????? >

EQ7 Software Question?????

EQ7 Software Question?????

Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 PM
Power Poster

ManiacQuilter2. If you download a PDF writer...I think mine is Cute..as a printer, then you can "print" to a PDF file instead of a printer. The program will prompt you to save the page in an EQ file. I use this all the time
Try these links....
http://www.cutepdf.com/

http://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-r...-pdf-printers/

And yes it will tell you how to cut your block pieces, but not your borders, sashes, or cornerstones. It will also print out a foundation pattern for paper piecing.

Last edited by oksewglad; 07-31-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 PM

I have the much smaller, and even cheaper Quilt Design Wizard by EQ. It cost me $30 and I've been using it for several years now. It also gives cutting measurements, and you can print the quilt, cutting directions, fabric amounts etc. The big difference is I can't import scans of my own fabric, nor can I manipulate the smaller parts of the blocks. It does have a monthly project that does add more fabric and more blocks for me to work with. They don't actually load into the "block" or the "fabric" sections. Instead they are in the downloads. It's a nice program and does almost everything I've needed done when designing most quilts. I determined that the EQ7 as it was way more than I needed at this time.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:10 AM

Well, I'm embarrassed, seeing how everyone who uses EQ7 loves it. I'm a Mac user and purchased EQ7 for Mac last summer. It runs natively on a Mac . . .but rather than make a version specifically FOR Mac OS, they simply used a Windows program designed to make the application run on a Mac, but with the Windows interface. It's for that reason, I find it extremely difficult to learn, as I've always been a Mac user (since the mid 80s). There's nothing I can't do in Photoshop and In Design, graphically speaking . . .and this supposed simple software is over my head, arrrggghhh!

Ok, ladies, you've inspired me to give it another whirl, LOL
Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
...And yes it will tell you how to cut your block pieces, but not your borders, sashes, or cornerstones. It will also print out a foundation pattern for paper piecing.
i only have EQ5, but if i click on a plain cornerstone or sashing, EQ will let me cut a template of it. if i have entered a block into the sashing or cornerstone, all of the print/preview options are available... same as the regular blocks
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 AM

I too use EQ7 and I am very fond of it! They have blog where they give many informations and free tutorials how to use EQ7! And if there are any questions you may contact them and there will be answers very soon!

And every month there are new fabrics for free you can add to your fabric library:

http://doyoueq.com/blog/2015/07/fabrics-of-the-month/

And here is the link to the blog.

http://doyoueq.com/blog/

I love to play with this program to see which color will do best for instance...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]526701[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526702[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526703[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2-hexagon-rot.jpg   3-hexagon-blau.jpg   4-hexagon-gelb.jpg  
Old 08-02-2015, 12:51 PM

I love EQ7. I have had EQ since version 5 and tried to use it on my Mac with simulation software and it didn't work very well.

I then bought a PC, but I forgot the basics that I learned originally several years ago in a class. However, I am excited, because in January, I am going to Road 2 California and taking 5 classes from Barbara Vlack.

EQ now offers EQ University online (http://classes.electricquilt.com/class-catalog/) as another option.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:14 PM

Just a warning. I recently downloaded Microsoft 10 and now I can't use my EQ7. I hope to figure it out soon, but so far no luck.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
Just a warning. I recently downloaded Microsoft 10 and now I can't use my EQ7. I hope to figure it out soon, but so far no luck.
I had heard there were problems with 10, so I am not planning to download it yet.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:52 PM

My recent experience......a CAUTION: I made a quilt with flying geese and corner triangles. You know...the kind where you put a 2" square on a corner, sew diagonally, and then cut off the excess. The EQ7 does NOT (at least in my experience) plan on you doing it that way. It wants you to cut out little triangles and fit them in the corners. Yeah....I didn't have enough fabric and had to go back to buy more. Thankfully, I made the quilt within days of buying the fabric. Oh, and I had purchased a 1/2 yard more per fabric to begin with!!!!!!!