Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EQ7

Quote Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    I have been wanting the EQ7, but don't want to spend that kind of money. I recently bought the Quilt Wizard which is made by Electric Quilt. I really like it and imagine I would have loved the EQ7. But I only paid 16.97 for this one on Ebay and I am very happy with it.
    Susanwilley

And what is Quilt Wizard? What does it do?

TreeFrog
    Here is a link. http://www.quiltdesignwizard.com/qdw/default.asp
    Check it out. I am very new to quilting so it does just what I need it do for now. I just love it. I have designed three quilts and have had it for about a week. It's really easy to use.

I bought it and like everything else, it's still in the box lol

Blog Entries
    I bought over a year ago and I love it I have designed over 10 quilts with it so far. I love that you can add your own stash to the program so you can see your quilt before you cut everything out, it has helped me a lot and well worth the price. It is very user friendly.

Blog Entries
    I have it and love it! Being able to print out your own pattern alone is well worth the $ to me!

Wow it seems everyone but me understands these things. My hubby bought me EQ6 and I have never been able to figure out how to use it! I even checked the local quilt shops to see if there was a class on how to use it but found nothing. I am really bad with computers but would still love to learn to use it.It might be hopeless I have been trying to learn to get the pic off the camera and onto the computer without help for over 3 years! I am very chalanged when it comes to this type of thing. But I think if you are able to understand it it would be a wonderful thing to have I have seen so many beautiful quilts designed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
    Wow it seems everyone but me understands these things. My hubby bought me EQ6 and I have never been able to figure out how to use it! I even checked the local quilt shops to see if there was a class on how to use it but found nothing. I am really bad with computers but would still love to learn to use it.It might be hopeless I have been trying to learn to get the pic off the camera and onto the computer without help for over 3 years! I am very chalanged when it comes to this type of thing. But I think if you are able to understand it it would be a wonderful thing to have I have seen so many beautiful quilts designed with it.
    did you look into the online courses through Quilting University? There seem to be a few that are designed to help you learn the software. Online courses are normally pretty good.

I've just bought it and tried it for a couple small projects. It's great fun and not hard to use if you can sit through the videos that come with it. I LOVE playing with the fabrics and blocks and layouts and uploading my own fabrics.

My son has been asking me when I'm going to make the new placements I have been dithering over (trying to match my new stoneware colors) and I printed him my latest EQ7 design for a 4-color placemat on 11x17 paper and plopped it on the dinner table. No-sew. Maybe I should laminate it LOL

Of course, I am a born fiddler. I can't do anything the same way twice, and if I don't hurry up and finish a project, it somehow morphs into something else or something I don't like. And I'm only on my 3rd project! :) :)

I have both EQ7 and Quilt Pro version 6. Maybe it is because I have had Quilt Pro since version 1, but I like that program much better for design and creating class handouts.
    EQ7 graphics are superior, but I find it very difficult to work with so I give up and go back to Quilt Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
    Wow it seems everyone but me understands these things.
    I have to admit that EQ is not one of the easiest programs I've ever used. I should have signed up for one of the online classes or even the one at my LQS.

I can just about run Paint Shop Pro in my sleep. Same with MS Publisher. EQ is not the most intuitive thing in the world.

But, even though I occasionally feel like tearing my hair out, the rewards of being able to lay out my own quilts are worth the trouble. Figuring yardage, changing block sizes, changing layouts - and all the calculations done for you.

Just one example - I'm following the Barbara Brackman Civil War BOW and the blocks are 8" finished. A lot of traditional block patterns don't lend themselves to an 8" block, but if you open the block in EQ and set the size to 8", you can print rotary cutting instructions, templates for each patch, or foundation piecing patterns, whichever you want. No more struggling with 7/16" measurements.

If you already have EQ and don't use it, take a class! :) Or just jump in and design a quilt, using the help files and videos that are included in the program. Yep, video tutorials right on the disk - very cool!

You will be amazed at what you can do and how it simplifies so many things for you.

if anyone has brought their eq6 or 7 for less than $150.00, please let me know where. thanks!!

Blog Entries
    You can possibly find eq6 for that on ebay. Or if anyone is selling a used copy of eq7. I believe stores aren't allowed to discount it until a certain amount of time has passed after its release.

I have had EQ7 for over a year and very happy with the purchase. I also took a class on Quilt University for around $36 to learn how to use the program. It was well worth the time and money for the class it gave me a better understanding how to use the program. The class showed me all the possibilities the program offers.

Blog Entries
    Many that say it's a waste seems to me are the ones that don't try to learn how to use it. I can adapt any quilt pattern or design a pattern in less time then it takes to search online for a pattern.

Some critics have said if you don't line up the metal piece with the last fabric cut your next cut is off. Some folks also complained that it was to heavy and you really need a dedicated place for it. I was very very close to buying one, I will be going to another quilt show in Sept if someone is there selling them again I might make the purchase. Just a lot of money to spend if folks don't think it is worth the money.

I have EQ5 and the best advantage that I find is that it can calculate the yardage needed for each colour etc, without you having to work it all out yourself. It basically saves time with drafting and calculating, for me. I haven't bothered to update it because it cost me $250 and I don't have the $$$ to be forking it out every couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
    I'm taking a class right now for EQ7. It's on the Quilt University site. I think the next on starts in May. The price is around $35.00 and it's the best money I've spent in a long time. I knew nothing about the program and now after two (there's 4) lessons I can make blocks, set quilt layouts, change colors etc. There's a forum for questions and the teacher, Fran, answers them quickly. Check it out, it's fun.
    Thanks for the information. I just may have to take that class. Is it at a "set" time or can you log on and take it anytime?

I got mine at the quilt in a day website for $132.97 about a month ago. But I looked for it on there a few minutes ago and they don't seem to have it anymore. Sorry! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Hello everyone

Can you tell me if the program is of value to purchase or should I simply continue doing my quilts the way that I have been, either by patterns from the web, through this board or through classes? I mean it only takes 3 classes to cover the cost of the program.

Thanks for your valuable input!

TreeFrog
    I have been wondering the same thing. Watching responses.

:)

I'm not real knowledgable with all it will do. Someday I'll spend more time playing with the program. I consider it a game-type program. It's fun playing with the blocks and colors.

EQ will give you the cutting directions, but does not give you any instructions for the construction of the quilt. You need to know how to put it all together. It is great for designing and auditioning fabrics.

EQ is a software program, no cutting fabric on it..

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Marie
    Some critics have said if you don't line up the metal piece with the last fabric cut your next cut is off. Some folks also complained that it was to heavy and you really need a dedicated place for it. I was very very close to buying one, I will be going to another quilt show in Sept if someone is there selling them again I might make the purchase. Just a lot of money to spend if folks don't think it is worth the money.

Blog Entries
    This looks good for paper piecing,but I'm on iMac....& the program requires Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by peacebypiece
    Similar software for free:
    go to www.cosman.nl/forum. There is a free software called Quilt Assistant that is very similar to EQ.

I looked at it also and love it. May have to save my money. Thanks for the info

I have been wanting the EQ7, but don't want to spend that kind of money. I recently bought the Quilt Wizard which is made by Electric Quilt. I really like it and imagine I would have loved the EQ7. But I only paid 16.97 for this one on Ebay and I am very happy with it.
    Susanwilley

And what is Quilt Wizard? What does it do?

TreeFrog
    Susanwilley

Thank you for the link, I am there right now! I will let you know what I think of that, however I still think that I might get EQ7

TreeFrog
    Here is a link. http://www.quiltdesignwizard.com/qdw/default.asp
    Check it out. I am very new to quilting so it does just what I need it do for now. I just love it. I have designed three quilts and have had it for about a week. It's really easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    This looks good for paper piecing,but I'm on iMac....& the program requires Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by peacebypiece
    Similar software for free:
    go to www.cosman.nl/forum. There is a free software called Quilt Assistant that is very similar to EQ.
    I tried this software, and found the same to be true. I am not into paper piecing, and don't have any interest in it right now!

TreeFrog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast