Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ergonomic Quilting Products? >

Ergonomic Quilting Products?

Ergonomic Quilting Products?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Swap Hosts

Default Ergonomic Quilting Products?

Wondering if anyone with carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis has found any good ergonomic rotary cutters or scissors. My physical therapist recommends finding some or the issues with my hands and wrist will just continue to get worse.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

I like the small Fiskars scissors with sharp tips; have several of them on hand. Don't like their large scissors as much because, in my experience, they don't stay as sharp as I like. The Martelli rotary cutter is much easier on the wrist; well worth investing in one of those, although it does take some getting used to. (Not sure if it works well in the June Taylor strip cutting mat, though; can't remember.) The new electric Accuquilt Go Big! is probably easier on the wrists too, because you don't have to hand crank.

I was diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel in one hand and moderate in the other. I was able to reverse mine by catching it early enough to radically change my routine. Completely changed my computer setup to become better ergonomically, cut my typing time at the computer in half, invested in hand splints from Walmart (the kind with metal inserts up the palm) and wore those day and night. The splints keep your wrists in a neutral position, reducing stress on the carpal tunnel.

Also took citrus bioflavanoid supplements -- two in the morning and two at night; here is a link to my favorite brand:
http://www.vitacost.com/twinlab-c-pl...flavonoid-caps
I had read online somewhere that citrus bioflavanoids help reduce the inflammation of carpal tunnel.

I met a dental hygienist who developed severe carpal tunnel syndrome after spending days removing wallpaper in an old house. Hers was so bad she had to quit her job. She also took citrus bioflavanoids and, like me, thought they helped. It took her several years, but she finally improved enough to be able to go back to work without pain.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

I would also recommend the Martelli ergonomic rotary cutters. They sell right and left hand versions. I have found that if I alternate that type of cutter with a regular one I can cut longer. I do several cuts with one, then switch. Also investigate using a cutter with a thicker or thinner handle.http://www.amazon.com/Martelli-Ergo-...artelli+cutter
Old 02-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

I switch the the Dritz ergonomic rotary cutter and I was surprised how much more comfortable was then the standard Olfa cutter. I also use F&P ergonomic seam ripper. So comfortable in your hand.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:23 AM

Love my Martelli rotary cutter. It's all I use now. I have two of them and have another on order.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:30 AM

I overheard a dr. tell someone how to get rid of the asleep feeling in the hands. Sit in a chair and then take the sleepy hand and put it palm down on a hard surface next to you, like you are leaning on your hand. Then put a lot of your weight onto the palm part of the hand. It works for me. Marcia
Old 02-17-2015, 05:51 AM

Another vote for Martelli, just make sure you practice with it before you use it on something expensive or irreplaceable. It is a very different feeling but worth it to try!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:50 AM

Here's another vote for the Martelli cutter. It does take some getting used to, but well worth it.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 AM
cjr

Any cutting equiment that is spring loaded. Fiskars makes spring loaded scissors and snips also land scaping pruners. Night time splints do work, even got my DH using them. I've had it for many many years. Talk to a hand therapist for recommended excercises. Good luck
Old 02-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Swap Hosts

Thanks to everyone. Off to shop for Martelli and bioflavinoids!