Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ergonomic rotary cutter recommendation? >

Ergonomic rotary cutter recommendation?

Ergonomic rotary cutter recommendation?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I cut 125 strips yesterday, and the arthritis in my hands is really complaining. A few times the pain was so intense my hand just couldn't push the cutter at all. I have the original style Olfa cutters. Does anyone have personal experience with an ergonomic cutter that would be better for my hands? I see lots of ads, but I would prefer personal experience. I can't continue with what I have now.

Pam
MARTELLI Rotary Cutters - without question!!! Please watch their videos for proper instruction on holding and cutting. If you aren't shown how to use them, you will not like them..................I use both right and left hand cutters.....and their blades are the very best (sharpest, last longest)......Sign up for their redline direct sales and get items @ 50% of retail.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:50 AM

Also look at how you stand/sit, the relationship of your shoulders to your cutting surface, the height of your cutting surface, is your blade sharp. Doing anything in marathon sessions is never good for our bodies even without arthritis.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:55 AM

Has anybody invested in the Martelli cutting system with the ruler and mat?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:00 AM

Had a Martelli for over 10 years. It still works. Bought another. Tried the Truecut, didn't like it.

I also have the Martelli Mat. Will never go back to Olfa. Buy Martelli blades when they have a sale. Far cheaper than some Olfa sales. I don't like Fiskars except for scissors.

Have an Accuquilt Go, too.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 11-30-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=PaperPrincess;7708059]I like the martelli. They have them for both right and left handed people.
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/Martelli

I also have this rotary cutter & it has helped me with cutting. Takes a bit of time to get used to it but so far so good.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:44 AM

I had these scraps of material too small for my cardboard rollers - started cutting what I could into 5 1/2" squares, and then 2 1/2" squares. I think I may have about 6 quilts (queen sized) I can eventually put together - lol - I took my time after the blisters started forming! It took me a couple of weeks, off and on cutting daily, but it's all done now and the stacks are color coded for specific quilting patterns. My shelves look so very organized, I'm almost afraid to start grabbing stacks to make quilts...
Old 11-30-2016, 08:59 AM
dms

I hate the martelli. It sits in a drawer cause it does not have a blade guard that automatically shuts. I cut myself just horribly because when you set it down, the blade sticks up in the air. My olfa's automatically shut. Just saying.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:26 PM

I have a Martelli cutter. I love it. Had to cut tshirt blocks that I spent a long time fusing (ugh!). Blocks were cut zip zip and no pain, no aches. Love, love, love it! Bought it at a quilt show. My new favorite tool.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 PM

I use the Olfa ergonomic and it works. I also have the Sew Easy Quilt & Sew Ruler/Rotary Cutter For Quilting/Patchwork for cutting long strips and the JT shape cut ruler. Whatever I use, I only work for 15 minutes at a time so I don't hurt my hands.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:05 AM

I adore my Martelli. The lady at the store told me it would take some time to get used to it, so not to cut scarce or expensive fabric with it the first time LOL She was right, but it didn't take too long to get the hang of it and now it's all I use.