Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ergonomics of Quilting Standing up? >

Ergonomics of Quilting Standing up?

Ergonomics of Quilting Standing up?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 AM

I think if you have problems to start with you'll have problems with aches and pains...whether you're quilting or doing any other activity for a long time.

I have a longarm that I stand at for hours...usually without problems....as long as I'm standing correctly, of course! I take breaks and MOVE to get the blood flowing. Perhaps changing a load of clothes (bending and stooping), going up and down the stairs, laying down on the floor to stretch or riding a exercise bike for a few minutes.

...and then there could be an entire discussion of what shoes to wear when standing for long periods of time!

I stand at my cutting table which is at least 36" tall and sit for all sewing machine sewing....even binding a quilt.

Nan - Indiana
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 AM

Thank you all for your input!
Tartan- well, THAT would explain why it's actually feasible for some! I didn't know that machines actually came w/out a pedal. I'm thinking that with an older model machine that does have a pedal, that perhaps the seated position would be a better option (and all of the ergonomics that go with a seated position). Thank you for letting me know about the "no foot pedal" machines! (And thinking I might be considering an upgrade...)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 AM

I have been experiencing back and shoulder pain myself. I just bought a table that adjust and am planning on trying the stand up verison of sewing... I watch TV while sewing and I have just made it a habit at every commercial to stretch either my arms or my back or both. It seems to help. I have also "ditched" the pressure foot. I now you my start and stop button on my machine. It have helped my hip, and leg pain.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

When I quilted on my domestic sewing machine, I found that quilting standing up was much easier on my body than quilting sitting down. Standing up I could quilt for much longer periods and walk away without having aches and pains for several days after. Standing up, I could quilt for several hours every day. Sitting down, if I quilted longer than two hours, I would have to take several days off to recover (neck and shoulder pain, and I remember pain down the center of my back). I tried lots of different things to make sitting down better -- including periodic walks and stretches, the back-weight thingie with straps from Nancy's Notions, etc. They helped a little. Quilting standing up helped a *lot*.

I placed my sewing machine on my cutting table to quilt standing up. My machine is a Bernina 1230, which does not have a button. The cord on my sewing machine pedal was *just* long enough to place on the floor. Perhaps the ergonomics of other sewing machine pedals is different, but I had no problems with using the pedal for machine quilting. The Bernina pedal is rather large; maybe that makes a difference.

One thing I did that improved my quilting was to make a styrofoam "surround" for my sewing machine, based on the Youtube videos for how to make a cheap sewing/quilting table. After placing my machine on the cutting table (I have a large sturdy one with a height that hits me about 4 inches below the waist), I would place the styrofoam surround so my machine surface was large and flat.

Now that I have a midarm frame setup (Voyager/Hinty), I am in heaven. It's ***so*** much easier for me than trying to manhandle a quilt through a domestic arm. I did find a little stiffness in my back after my first quilting sessions on the frame, but that has gone away. I typically do not quilt on the frame for more than 2 hours or so at a time. If I were quilting long hours for a business, I would invest in a gel pad (currently am on a concrete floor) and take more frequent breaks.

Hope this helps!

Edit: It occurs to me that the height of the person, the height of the table, and the length of the pedal cord would all affect the comfort of quilting standing up. I am 5'6" and the combo of table height and cord length worked for me. Someone who is taller could have a problem because the cord might not be long enough for the table height needed for comfort. Someone who is shorter would not have this problem.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-11-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Excellent information- THANK YOU for your post!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I've done it both ways. Remember the step stools/chairs, I still have one. My pedal cord is a little short so it sits on a small 20x20x5 platform. I use it sitting or standing. I have scoliosis and arthritis in my back. DH put 1/4 round on edges so pedal doesn't slide off.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 AM

Momto5, I win the back surgery compitition lol I've had a total of 6 & unfortunately I have to live on very strong pain meds but it I wont let it stop me from learning, I feel your pain (literally) I am learning because it's something I can do sitting down but I need to stand occasionally too so thats when I do my cutting. I am happy that you only need meds occasionally I truly am, keep on keeping on!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM

I sew standing up. Hasn't caused me any pain. I have my sewing machine & serger side by side...right next to the cutting mat & in back of me is the ironing board. I prefer it, no getting up and down to press blocks.
Marge

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
I'm biting the bullet again, and giving another Toastmaster speech at our next meeting. I decided to do it on the Ergonomics of quilting (Project #5: Your Body Speaks)

I've searched our forum here and have come up with many threads on the subject of tables, chairs, cutting table height, aches, pains, taking breaks, etc. but I didn't see much on the subject of quilting standing up.

While I thought initially it would be a good idea, I rethought that after realizing that shin pain would likely develop from having your body in an upright position and constantly lifting your foot into an unnatural position to get on the foot pedal.

Any thoughts on the subject?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM

I have had neck surgery and still have neck pain. I also have lower back pain. I've found the best thing is a combination of sitting and standing. I do my cutting and ironing standing, and my cutting table is in the other room so I can get some circulation going.

My lower back will definitely act up if I do not tuck my hips under to prevent my natural "sway back". I also have to concentrate on dropping my shoulders and sitting straight because of my "hunch back".

When I worked customer service on a PC all day I was SO thankful to be able to lift my whole work station to standing level. When I get used to correct posture I think I will arrange to stand while sewing and quilting too.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:50 PM

The start-stop button is a lifesaver for me. I don't even know where my foot pedal is right now. Itisso much easier to con trol the fabric this way. Iknow it is hard for some people to get the hang of it this way,but practice it.