Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Essential Cotton Thread - thoughts? >

Essential Cotton Thread - thoughts?

Essential Cotton Thread - thoughts?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 AM

I love ET, as others said a bit linty but I find lots of thread is and regular cleaning of bobbin area takes care of that. It is really great thread at the price especially when bought at sale price. CT does not ship to UK so I ordered a lot of thread and had it sent to holiday villa my sister was staying at and she brought it back for me. Its that good and cheap compared to the prices in UK.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:12 AM

I have been using it for about 4 years. I use it for piecing and free motion quilting. I love it; my Juki loves it!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:24 AM

I love it. I get it when it is on sale and then I purchase the different colors that are adapted to what you are working on.....Christmas, different shades of green and red, yellows and when I start the sewing, I always have the colors I need. But then I always get neutral/natural in spools of 12. It is good thread. Edie
Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 AM

I didn't like it and now only use Aurifil. It's worth the extra cost to have quality thread. You can find it on Ebay at good prices.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
I really love the ET Threads, it is more a matter of machine preference then anything. My Brother machine LOVES it, my Janome tolerates it and my Singer hates it ! To solve the lint issue I made a little tube out of scrap fabric that fits over the hook on my thread stand so the thread runs over the fabric and gets " de-linted " before it even gets to my machine !
Love your avatar Could you show a picture of the thread stand with the material on it? Sounds like a great idea- but I am having trouble visualizing it.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 AM

I have all the colors in their Essential line and have also picked up some of their polyester spools to try out. I find the polyester is hard to break and their cotton thread can break easily. I do use it for my quilting on my big machine and yes it does make lint but I find my Aurifil threads do too so you just have to settle that cotton thread makes lint. I also clean after every bobbin change. Occasionally I've find lint balls fall from my needle onto the quilt top but that's just the name of the game with cotton thread. I also use the leftover bobbin thread to piece with so I can empty my bobbins. I also use whatever thread brand my quilt machine doesn't like in my regular machine for piecing so I don't waste it. If my bobbin doesn't wind correctly, that thread gets wound onto a regular bobbin and used for piecing. Its like our scraps, we don't throw it away because its just a scrap. We use it somewhere else. We are a frugal bunch aren't we???
Old 08-23-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I use it and love it. I have a Bernina and find its really not anymore "linty" than others I have used. I clean my Bobbin area and case everytime I fill my Bobbin anyway no matter what thread I would use. Just good maintenance. I piece and quilt with it. Love all the colors, and at that price I can afford to match my thread to my fabric color.

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Couldn't have said it better....
Then I won't bother, but will just say
"Me too"
Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM

I use it for both piecing and quilting. for an inexpensive thread it works wonderfully. My only warning is to clean your machine frequently because it does leave some lint behind. Love the thread. I have about 24 colors and next time it's on sale I intend to buy more. Oh one other thing, if you use it for hand work, use bees wax on it or it knots up.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 AM

I really like the thread, but one of my machines hates it! The other machines are fine with it. So I wouldn't buy a huge quantity at the start... you'd have to make sure that your machine would be compatible with it.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 AM

I had problems with slubs in the thread and only use it occasionally. I read somewhere that it was a temporary issue and that CT changed manufacturers. It is supposed to be better now. The colors are beautiful, which is why I bought it originally. I prefer poly esp Mettler because of the lint issue.