Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Esty?? >

Esty??

Esty??

Old 12-20-2013, 05:21 AM

Default Esty??

Has anyone here on the board ever use Esty? How was your out come? Was it hard to get started?
Thanks.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 AM

I've been a buyer only. Very positive experience.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:55 AM

what are you thinking of selling on Etsy? I sell ruffle bloomer sets on my daught's Etsy store and she sells crochet hats for babies and children. this year we have sold $7000. The problem with Etsy is that there are THOUSANDS of sellers and items. It seems that you need to find unique items and have the priced reasonably. I have sold 2 quilted wallhangings for $50 each but did not sell 5 others. do a search on Etsy on the items you want to sell and see how many and what different shops have to offer and make your decision from there. As with selling anything you never know. I have listed counted crossstitch birth anouncements and have not sold any and there are few of these listed. On advantage to Etsy is that it reaches across the country. do not think you are going to get rich or make this you full time job. According to my daughter it is pretty easy to set up a shop since Etsy has lots of helpful tools. Good luck!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:56 AM

Same as JustAbitCrazy, even though I did sign up for a shop years ago, but I never used it. I give away my stuff faster than I can make it.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 AM

I went in and did some checking, yes there is a lot!! I would have Baby Quilts, Laps, Quilts-some just tops, Runners, also some Monk cloth Afghans.
Thanks for you help.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 AM

I buy way to much from Etsy! I like to support the little guys. Although, there are some established brick & mortar quilt shops that also have online stores that have shops on Etsy also. I have a small shop on Etsy but I haven't done a lot with it. Bigger plans in the near future for it though! I don't expect to make a ton of money with my shop but it is a creative outlet for me. The price to list & sell items on Etsy is pretty negligible so it works for me. The money I have made selling things usually goes right back to buying things so it is pretty much a wash for me.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:00 AM

I have bought several pieces of odds and ends fabric 'destash' lots on easy, and one quilting book, always had very positive buying experiences. But never sold on it.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I have been a buyer only.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:14 PM

I have an Etsy shop, opened in April. There are LOTS of sellers on Etsy, but then there are also a lot of shoppers on Etsy. You do have to promote your shop though, just as you would any bricks and mortar business. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. I had only had two sales after being open 7 months, then started linking with my facebook page, pinterest, etc, and learning how to "tag" my items so I would get found in searches.

I also happened to hit on an item that sold well (personalized Christmas stockings) and had 13 sales in the last 4 weeks. I hope I can find something that does well for the new year since I can't imagine I'll sell any more stockings till next year.

It is very easy to open a shop on Etsy, no charge for the account. They charge 20 cents for each listing for four months. They take 3.5 % of every sale. There are other fees if you use direct check-out, Paypal, etc. I would suggest opening an account and hanging out in the forums for a while. You can learn all kinds of things from the threads there.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:36 AM

I have an Etsy shop in addition to Craftsy and my own business website. I have done okay on Etsy, selling crochet patterns.
I used to do better on Etsy than on Craftsy but then Craftsy linked to one of my patterns on Facebook and things are now different, at least for the past 3 months. It has slowed down but my business has grown.

Depending on what you want to sell you might try both. Craftsy won't let you sell finished items but if you are doing patterns, I'd list them in both places. Craftsy doesn't have any fees but Etsy does. Etsy fees used to kill me. I now don't list and relist things as often.