Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting Thread Recommendations >

Machine Quilting Thread Recommendations

Machine Quilting Thread Recommendations

Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 PM

Default Machine Quilting Thread Recommendations

I would like to know what type of thread is recommended for machine quilting. I am using a Baby Lock Ellegante 2. I have been using Robison Anton Cotton for quilting (I use R.A. Poly for embroidery). I like the R.A. cotton, but my local shop has stopped carrying it. I bought some Sulky Cotton 30 wt., but it broke a lot! I was disappointed in its performance. I quilted one quilt with Mettler cotton 50 wt, and it did fine, but the shop doesn't carry that any more either. I may have to shop online for quilting thread, but I would like to know what thread others have had success with. So, here are my questions:
1- Should I be staying with 100% cotton for quilting?
2- What weight is best for quilting?
3- Does the thread weight depend on batting or density of quilting?
Thank you in advance for your opinion and assistance :-)
Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 PM

Check out the Superior Threads website -- there is a lot of information there regarding thread, needles, etc. You will find all the answers to your questions and be able to make up your mind based on what you want your quilting to look like.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:51 PM

I have the Ellegante BLG, the first one. My machine loves the 40 wt polyester embroidery threads from ThreadArt-the designs sew out perfectly and beautifully. For sewing/quilting, the Isacord 40 wt polyester thread is my favorite, and I use the Sulky Polyester Bobbin thread (Hancock Fabrics has Sulky on sale now.) or the 60 wt polyester thread from ThreadArt. I have tested each one and adjusted the horizontal and vertical stitches on my machine for each thread and keep notes on what settings to use when I switch out the threads and needles. The only cotton thread I can use in my machine is the Essential thread from Connecting Threads. It is 50 wt/3 ply. I have tried many threads (not Superior yet, though) and these threads I have found to be very reasonably priced and available. I have also bought large cones of spun polyester from Ebay and had no problems. I have had my machine for 5 years, and the thread broke only once. Adjusted the tension, put in a sharp needle, and it was fine. For quilting I use the polyester threads as they are stronger than cotton. The Isacord sews like butter in my Elegante.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 AM

I've been experimenting with thread in my Babylock Espire for the past several months and have decided to walk away from cotton as much as possible. I have been quilting with polyester--Sulky for decorative stitches and Guetermann otherwise. Cotton seems to break and fray and lint up. I have also switched to either topstitch or an embroidery needle. Both the change in thread and the change in needle for machine quilting, especially FMQ, have helped tremendously--and yes, I use either the Sulky or Guetermann bobbin thread too.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

I'm a true beginner when it comes to long arming and choosing thread (just bought my long arm in October). I bought a bunch of Glide poly thread 40 wt. on line. When I tried quilting with it I had a devil of a time with breakage. Thru trial and error I found its doing the best when I use a 50 wt. cotton in the bobbin. Because I'm using a Juki 2200 QVP the repairman said it was best to always use a size 18 needle and that he would have to make special adjustments to set it up to use a size 16. Now I wish I had bought some 50 wt. colors in cotton because what I'm quilting now would look better in a heavier thread.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 AM

You're going to get various opinions on these questions, so you'll need to sort out most things for yourself and decide what works for you. I've gone to a lot of effort to educate myself on the topic and have done a lot of experimenting, and I'll share with you what is working for me.

I agree with Nammie to 7, the "Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob Educational Videos" from Superior Threads are a good place to start, and they are available to watch from their site on the web, or you can purchase a DVD (right now it is FREE). I'd highly recommend taking the time to watch this all the way through.

1- Should I be staying with 100% cotton for quilting? ~ That depends on whether you want to or not, there are opposing camps on this one. I like either a fine cotton, Presencia from Harriet Hargrave is my favorite, or Bottom Line poly thread from Superior. Both are fine 60 weight threads with very little lint. I started out using any thread that was the color I wanted, but learned along the way that cheaper, heavier threads do not perform as well and can cause all kinds of problems including inaccurate piecing, excessive lint build up and thread breakage.

2- What weight is best for quilting? ~ That depends on what finished result you want. For a fine "heirloom" look that blends in, at lightweight thread is best and again the Presencia cotton works very well. King Tut from Superior is another cotton thread that performs very well. When I want my stitching to stand out (which I often do), I use a poly embroidery thread with a bit of a sheen to it. My favorite is "Magnifico" by Superior Threads. It comes in wonderful colors and I never have problems with breakage. Whatever thread you use, be sure to use a needle that is the correct size for it. I'm 100% sold on the Titanium Top Stitch needles from Superior.

3- Does the thread weight depend on batting or density of quilting? ~ Again it depends a bit on the look you are trying to achieve, but lighter thread will give you a finer look which will work out better for very dense quilting. That also allows you to use a smaller needle so that you don't leave behind visible needle holes in fine fabrics. On the other hand, if you are quilting on a quilt that is thick and heavy weight because of the combination of batting and outer fabrics, a heavier weight thread and larger needle will work better.

These are just my opinions on what is working well for me at this time. I will tell you that when I first started FMQ I thought that there were some threads that just did not work in my machine (It is a Juki TL989Q), but as my skills improved, those same threads worked just fine...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:40 AM

The key is proper needle size in relation to thread weight and proper tension. My favorite is Glide, and also like Signature cotton. The inexpensive serger thread at Joann's is not very good for longarm quilting, but thread is like anything else, each machine and quilter has its own personality.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

If you want 100 percent cotton, Aurifil 50wt Mako Cotton Thread is my go to for quilting on my domestic machine, Janome 6500. I also use it for piecing.

You might also try a bobbin genie in your domestic machine. Another thread for quilting with the domestic machine is Superior, one that also has some poly.

The long arm likes Glide and some other threads for the long arm. It does overall better, less breakage, with a long arm thread that has some poly because that is stronger.

Use the same weight thread in the top and bottom or a little thinner in the bottom. Use a 90/40 topstich needle in your domestic machine when quilting and a 80/12 sharp if piecing. I found that putting my machine, Janome 6500, in quilting mode, NOT dropping the feed dogs and then just quilt with above mentioned Auralfil and 90/14 topstich needle works perfectly every time for me. Keep playing with your domestic machine and find the perfect combo for your set up.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 12-16-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 AM

I forgot about the bobbin genie. Take the spring out of your bobbin case and replace it with the genie. They really do help and come in both L and M sizes.

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
If you want 100 percent cotton, Aurifil 50wt Mako Cotton Thread is my go to for quilting on my domestic machine, Janome 6500. I also use it for piecing.

You might also try a bobbin genie in your domestic machine. Another thread for quilting with the domestic machine is Superior, one that also has some poly.

The long arm likes Glide and some other threads for the long arm. It does overall better, less breakage, with a long arm thread that has some poly because that is stronger.

Use the same weight thread in the top and bottom or a little thinner in the bottom. Use a 90/40 topstich needle in your domestic machine when quilting and a 80/12 sharp if piecing. I found that putting my machine, Janome 6500, in quilting mode, NOT dropping the feed dogs and then just quilt with above mentioned Auralfil and 90/14 topstich needle works perfectly every time for me. Keep playing with your domestic machine and find the perfect combo for your set up.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
Check out the Superior Threads website -- there is a lot of information there regarding thread, needles, etc. You will find all the answers to your questions and be able to make up your mind based on what you want your quilting to look like.
Excellent advice!! So much info on their website, and you can print it out!! They even have fabric, which I did not know. Check it out!!