Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Etsy???? >

Etsy????

Etsy????

Old 08-03-2010, 06:18 AM

Can anyone here tell me if listing on that site is worth doing? I saw that site this morning and thought it might be a way to offset some of the costs for doing my children's quilts for the hospital. If i sold some of them there then i could put that money into doing more baby quilts. Ebay seems to be satuarated with quilts so that's why i'm asking about this site. Any info would be apprectiated.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:51 AM

the listing fees are only 20 cents - you only pay the higher amount if you sell your item.

Some people have had luck with Etsy. I like it better than eBay, but I have only sold a few items on Etsy. You have to work hard at marketing and your listing drops down pretty fast (newest listings are shown first in searches). It's an easy way to set up a "shopping cart" for your own website - my sales were for the most part, from people who already know me from elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 AM

You have to watch as Etsy seems to attract those with money scams. Someone will offer to buy your items & then the payment gets complicated & they start asking for you to pay someone "agent" to pick up the item.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 AM

I too, am interested in the info you get about ETSY... Right now, I am working on a commissioned quilt, but for the most part - I do quilts for charity.
I had the opportunity to put some quilts in a local consignment shop, but she wants 50% of the selling price so in order to make anything on these, I would have to WAAY overprice the quilts, which I think would keep them from selling...
Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
You have to watch as Etsy seems to attract those with money scams. Someone will offer to buy your items & then the payment gets complicated & they start asking for you to pay someone "agent" to pick up the item.
When the payment gets "complicated" I cancel the sale. I don't think I've taken anything besides PayPal there.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I too, am interested in the info you get about ETSY... Right now, I am working on a commissioned quilt, but for the most part - I do quilts for charity.
I had the opportunity to put some quilts in a local consignment shop, but she wants 50% of the selling price so in order to make anything on these, I would have to WAAY overprice the quilts, which I think would keep them from selling...
holy cow! NOBODY gets 50%, she's outta her mind!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Banned

Just as an impartial opinion, I've gone to Etsy a few times, but the search results seem jumbled, and to me, at least, it is much harder to search for something specific than on ebay. Obviously it's a completely different program, but it seems unnecessarily difficult to me, so I don't go there any more.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 AM

You might check out Craigslist in your area. It's free to post items for sale and you'd be selling locally so there'd be no shipping involved and it's cash in hand.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 AM

I have sold many things on ebay and craigs list but everything I had on etsi I never heard from anyone. Transferred them to ebay and they were gone in 2 days. Ebay has good security with Paypal. Since I own a business I can take credit cards directly.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:23 AM

I ran across this "craft community" a few days ago and have been thinking about listing on it. I haven't done very much research, but it seems to be more organized that Etsy.
http://www.handmadecatalog.com/

If anyone has listed items there - how is it?