Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Lots of good advice -

Especially about knowing how things are done and the type of crowd that is usually attracted to the fund-raiser.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I once donated a crocheted twin sized afghan to a Grange Penny /Social... Instead of using it as a door prize, they put it with a case of snapple, and put it into the penny raffle, where a little boy won it, because he wanted the snapple... That Quilt had won a first prize (BLUE) ribbon at the Yorktown Heights Grange Fair, where over 20,000 people had seen it... Now, I just give tiny little things, (not hand made by me... unless I put a price tag on it...) for their PENNY SOCIALS... /Diana O
Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I once donated a crocheted twin sized afghan to a Grange Penny /Social... Instead of using it as a door prize, they put it with a case of snapple, and put it into the penny raffle, where a little boy won it, because he wanted the snapple... That Quilt had won a first prize (BLUE) ribbon at the Yorktown Heights Grange Fair, where over 20,000 people had seen it... Now, I just give tiny little things, (not hand made by me... unless I put a price tag on it...) for their PENNY SOCIALS... /Diana O
Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Haven't done it with quilts but did with stained glass so know the frustration and vowed not to do it again too. My heart goes out to you.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:36 PM

I have had the same experience! Auctions often are not very good fund raisers. but raffles, with a big organization, often will make "good money"!
Because you are at the Auctioneer's mercy, who has the instinct to sell at any price - just to sell it! - a printed panel quilt works as well as a carefully pieced one.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:06 PM

I agree that it's frustrating. We had someone donate a beautiful quilt for a silent auction. The organizers had no idea what they had on their hands. I ended up buying it for $175 - put the bid in thinking it would spur on interst. Now I own it. And I love it but feel bad that I got it that cheaply!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by SharBear
I agree that it's frustrating. We had someone donate a beautiful quilt for a silent auction. The organizers had no idea what they had on their hands. I ended up buying it for $175 - put the bid in thinking it would spur on interst. Now I own it. And I love it but feel bad that I got it that cheaply!
auctions are always a gamble unless it's an auction featuring specific items such as quilts. Even then, it depends on the crowd.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 AM

Oh, the kicker for sure, is that she SHOULD HAVE known better. Maybe she's one of those people who doesn't appreciate what goes into one, it's not her time, it's not her money. Yep, a donation next time, for sure. Hey, I took a donated quilt to an auction and I bid on it myself to make sure it did not go for "nothing".... I couldn't stand it!