Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM

I agree with the previous post.

Big "Bargain" stores have downgraded the art of quilting by selling low quality quilts made in third world countries where the "quilter" receives relatively nothing for the work.

I have found the same is true with US handmade baskets out of quality wood.

Additionally, folks these days have forgotten the concept of charity auctions. It's not the same as an estate auction. I.E. A charity auction is to raise money for those in need.

I now look for lower cost items to donate. It's a sad state of affairs.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 AM

I agree with you (just donate and don't look back), you'll only get angry and feel ripped off. So my question is, what's the point of this post?
You donated the quilts for a charity, they were sold and made money for the charity and no doubt made so child very happy.
Sounds like you performed a good deed, then you had to spoil it by venting here because they didn't bring as much money as you thought they should.
We often vent here about circumstances that frustrate and anger us, and that's fine, but in this instance I think your feeling is selfish. I'm sorry - just my opinion, others may disagree.
I hope your charitable experiences in the future are more to your liking.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Perhaps things are fortunately a bit different here. I attended a fund raiser for a young man, uninsured, with cancer running up huge bills. I came home with a $70 pound cake and a print by my favorite local artist. The latter was a silent auction and I made a pretty good bid, just trying to up the ante and came away with it. I have no regrets except that I ate that home made pound cake in two or three days.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 AM

Sorry to hear that about the donation of quilts but you know most people that think they sew but do not know what goes into a quilt or even a lap quilt. Right you are on the cash donation.
Most times, those that want a quilt you made; want it until you tell them the price and then they go to Walmart and buy one made in Japan.

Take care and keep on quilting and enjoy yourself.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

The OP invested $75 worth of materials and hours of work to make three quilts which were donated; the charity sold these quilts for a total of $25. Bringing up this situation for discussion is not "venting", as far as I am concerned. Both the OP and the charity would have been better off with a $50 cash donation! The fault lies with how the donations are handled, not with the person who donates.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:42 PM

I had some blocks left over, put them together for a fund raiser at work for cancer. I paid someone $75 to quilt it and they only got $60 for it. They would have made more money if I had given them the money! The CEO of the company made some handknitted scarves and they went for hundreds, so I guess it all evens out in the end.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by thrums
I agree with the previous post.

Big "Bargain" stores have downgraded the art of quilting by selling low quality quilts made in third world countries where the "quilter" receives relatively nothing for the work.

I have found the same is true with US handmade baskets out of quality wood.
This has been a recognised problem since the 60s... the 1860s, that is! John Ruskin and William Morris started the Arts and Crafts Movement in reaction to the mass production of mediocre goods brought about by the Industrial Revolution.

The problem, then as now, was not in convincing rich people to buy high quality goods. That is never a problem in any age. The problem is in how less than rich people can afford to add beauty to their own homes. Then, as now, the most common solution was mediocre quality goods that were affordable for their intended buyers. Trying to convince people to buy fewer, higher quality goods was not successful then and it's not looking successful now, either. Most people seem to choose quantity over quality.

I think part of the solution for quilters who are considering making charitable donations for auctions or raffles is to ask some questions first. Has the charitable cause done their homework so that they can answer obvious questions like "how much will the average person approached by this charity be willing or able to spend?" Does this charity's fundraising plan match the ability of their intended population of donors? What is this organisation's previous track record in raising money?

If you know that the average donation is less than $20, that can help you make a decision as to what to donate. If you decide to donate an item that has $60 worth of materials in it, then you're doing so in an informed manner. And if you decide to do so and your item brings $30, that's actually a compliment!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:58 PM

Some time back I made a quilted angel for a pillow facing. Didn't really cost too much since I had the material here. It was being sold on in a silent auction. Of course, I had the backing and the purchased pillow form. (app. $10). The top bid was $5. I put a bid of $10, purchased it back and gave it to my grandson who has a wallhanging quilt that matched the quilted angel.

Generally, I am reluctant to spend money for such fundraisers since I get offended if stuff sell cheap. Instead, I donate money equilivent to what I am making.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 PM

Oh, that is discouraging. I am sorry that happened to you.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM

No more quilts to them. :(