Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-14-2011, 05:21 PM

I have donated, but specified the quilt needed to be raffled to get the maximum possible amount. Has always been successful and the organization gets more $$$.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by acjacques
When I donate a quilt for fundraising, I usually let the organizers know how much it cost me to make it. At my granddaughter's child care center's fundraising, they put my baby quilts in a raffle of $5.00 to win the quilt. They ended up making $65.00 for a $20 quilt, and one lucky winner got the quilt for just $5.00.
The last raffle quilt I made went $1 per ticket. They made $350 and the winner got the quilt for $1.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Banned

seems Raffles do so much better...good to know...though I sort of already knew that..you can run a raffle longer than a silent/auction, so the odds are in your favor that is for sure!

Our OHCE group does a raffle quilt at the fair each year...it bring in BIG bucks, but then county fair people KNOW what a quality quilt is really worth!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM

so sad,
Maire
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by dltaylor
I would make them set a min. price for each one
I agree. Tell them how much it cost to make each quilt and what the minimum bid should be. If the minimum is not reached the quilt should be returned to you.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 PM

What sad stories these are! I am so blessed to have made 2 quilts for where I work UAMS for their yearly cancer gala. There was always a brochure sent out with pictures & personal info. Since it is a hospital & with Drs. salaries They made $12000 for the first & over $10000 on the 2nd.Of course State matching funds jacked it up. Getting ready for the 3rd one is a Susan B Komen T-shirt quit that the employees where I work(we do the Ins billing for the hospital)will auction in Sept. It really makes it worthwile to do it. So sorry about your bad experiences!!God bless you all!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 PM

When you donate, ask for a charity receipt for $100. That'll make em think!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
When you donate, ask for a charity receipt for $100. That'll make em think!
OR ask for the receipt for the REAL value of the quilt! That makes sense!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 PM

I have admired your quilts and feel some people just don't get what time, energy, and thought we put into making them. I made a crocheted ABC blanket for Relay for Life to auction off and the lady liked it so much she never put it in the auction. I was really p.o.'ed but there's nothing we could do? She asked me to do one the next year, I declined.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Been there done that! I was asked by my daughter-in-law to make a quilt for a fund raiser their church was having. So I said sure I can do that. So I am thinking they will make this their main thing, This was a Hunter star quilt about a double size made out of good fabrics. There was tons of baskets with soaps, or candy, wine .... that went for more than my quilt that was just sort of thrown on a chair. My girlfriend bought it for 30.00. Never again.

Quilterfay in Saskatchewan