Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

I made a queen sized quilt for my sister in Calif. for a Casa silent auction. I had quite a bit ofmoney in it. They didn't even open the quilt up and brought less than $100. Needless to say I earned my lesson there.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 PM

When I first arrived in TN local churches auctioned quilts and they went for $500 or more. Times have changed. Either people don't have the money or they don't appreciate/recognize the value of handcrafted items.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Becka
It sounds like they don't have enough knowledge about the process to appreciate the effort that goes into a quilt, and that's sad. It also sounds like when she called to tell you how much it brought, she thought it was a good thing, a decent amount, which further indicates their ignorance (not meant in an insulting way, just their lack of knowledge).

I wonder how amenable the cheerleaders would be to sitting in on an afternoon or two of making their own quilt/s for their next auction, silent or otherwise. My Acteens (a teenaged girls group at church) are making a "matching game" quilt to auction for the Baptist Children's Home down south, and it has been quite the eye opener for them.
Ditto . That was my first thought. She probably figured that you would be happy to know that it did so well.........BrendaK
Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 PM

I feel your frustration.

Don't give them anything this year either.

You've done more than your share in the past.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i guess next time this group approaches me i will simply say- sorry no- or just give them $20 and call it good.
i know= i'm always saying once you give it---
i need to just get over it....
Not really (the get over it part). I think a lesson learned. Next time tell them that the people who attend their fundraisers don't appreciate handmade/USA made, and give them $20 or $10. Or better yet, make some cookies. Probably chocolate chip cookies or something like that brought in more. :) Doesn't make sense to me, but it works that way, sometimes.

I think you SHOULD NOT donate any more quilts to this group for a fundraiser if this is only how much they will bring. It isn't fulfilling the purpose for which it is designed. It's not being stingy or anything--it is merely evaluating and working from there. That is what should be done--either donate cold cash or find something people will pay more for.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
sounds like a good idea to just give cash, and explain why. Save your nice work for people who appreciate it. Sorry this happened to you.
Ditto.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:46 AM

Absolutely! Give a min. bid..........then list your fabric expense and your time on an attached sheet of paper and say under no circumatances should they accept a lower bid......otherwise just return it to YOU!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
A raffle seems to be much better than auction. Around here that is the best way to get the most donations:)
i agree - at least most people dont mind giving a dollar or two when they might win and that adds up to more money much quicker. I feel your frustration and i would have been very disappointed myself.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:54 AM

Tell them the minimum bid and if it doesn't make at least that, it gets yanked from the auction!! You can simply say, "The fabric cost $30 and 20 hours were spent creating this quilt. Please set the minimum bid at ___"
Old 07-14-2011, 02:54 AM

I think a quilt raffle would be a better idea.