Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-13-2011, 07:43 AM

I had a very similar thing happen to me. Three of the quilts that I have donated have pulled 500-700 in raffles and live auctions.

This one group asked me for something. I gave them a baby quilt with a coordinating wallhanging plus 100 dollars of baby themed goodies. Well they were obviously disappointed and threw the stuff in a basket not even displaying the quilts even though I had provided ribbons and decorative paper to help them display it.

They got peanuts about 25 dollars. It was their own fault. I will not give to them again.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:44 AM

It may be the organizer-quilter's daughter or the bidding audience or or or ... seems that it may be hard to really know... but what you can assuredly assume that someone will love your quilts, especially your quilts made for children... and isnt that the point... I do understand what you mean about the $ value though... our society values that which commands $... and there is so much more than $ to value. You did your part to help raise funds and you can bet that you have also given joy via your quilts.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM

Could be that the uninformed people are comparing your handmade quilt to the cheap, printed ones they see at the big box stores.

I'd give money.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Banned

Could be that the uninformed people are comparing your handmade quilt to the cheap, printed ones they see at the big box stores.
That's what I think, too. Still, only $15? That's so low as to be almost insulting.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 AM

I just won't give a quilt for any silent auction no matter how I feel about the "cause". If asked I will send an apron with accompanying cook-book, a bag or a child's Hallowe'en costume which all seem to bring reasonable amounts. The suggestion to just send a donation may even be a better one as it will not involve my time. Next time they will just get some $.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:22 AM

I think that marketing is to blame. The University that I work for has a Silent Auction each year and 2 years in a row, I made and donated lap quilts.....same result as yours. The first year they listed it as a homemade blanket without it or a picture....and made peanuts on it.....the second year, I sent a picture with it and a blurb that it was a handmade quilt that cost $75 to make....they didn't use the picture and didn't even put the blurb on the sheet....I don't give them my quilts anymore.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 AM

sorry to hear this. All of your hard work and time. But im sure the familys who bought them love them.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:33 AM

I agree about suggesting they set a beginning bid for each item. I did a quilt for a charity raffle for my daughter's organization, and when they realized the turnout was going to be low, she pulled the quilt back before they started selling the tickets. She saved it for another fund raiser event, but that one didn't go too well, either, so now that quilt is hanging on her living room wall!! LOL You don't always know how it will turn out. I am glad my DD didn't let it go for small $$.

Another time my BFF and I made 2 quilts for a pediatric hospice for their fund raiser, and they did silent auction style. We were not happy to hear that neither quilt made it to $100.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM

If the cheerleaders are asking for money, they should be making items for sale. That way, they have earned the money themselves for their activities. Just the way most of us have to do.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM

I donated a small wall hanging to a silent auction for the school I was working for a few years ago. I was asked, before it was displayed, the cost of materials and that was the minimum bid posted.