Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever "too much" quilting? >

Ever "too much" quilting?

Ever "too much" quilting?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 PM

He is beautiful, to put quilt over the top of him just wouldn't do him justice. I would do SID.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 AM

I understand what you're saying. Sometimes I look at a picture of a beautifully pieced quilt that I know was more work than I will ever try for and I lose the piecing because the quilting ON the piecing is so beautifully done. I think the quilting itself is an art, but it should not overshadow the piecing which is the original part of "quilting".
Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 AM

I agree wholeheartedly! Sometimes the quilting obscures the pattern and dulls the colors. And as others say, feel stiff. IMO

I did too much on one quilt and with monofilament and am not happy at all with that quilt even tho the pattern is beautiful.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie
I agree wholeheartedly! Sometimes the quilting obscures the pattern and dulls the colors. And as others say, feel stiff. IMO

I did too much on one quilt and with monofilament and am not happy at all with that quilt even tho the pattern is beautiful.
I had one quilt LAQed with monofilament and I don't like it all. I think it has pokies and it is a little stiff.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Nope I agree. Also I am into making functional quilts. I have had only one quilt Long arm quilted due to size and am very greatful the woman did not over do it. I do not like too much quilting for functional quilts as it tends to make the quilt heavy and stiff. I guess it is what you are looking for.

I also prefer the people to ooohhh and aaaahhhh over my work instead of the long arm quilting that I hired out. This is one of the reasons I quilt my own quilts if I can. I love seeing the work of any quilting long or hand but prefer to have done the whole quilt myself. Now if I would own a long arm quilting machine. That would be nice.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 AM

I ALSO THINK THE WAY YOU DO ,CALL ME OLD FASHION OR JUST OLD.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM

I've been told that although monofilament is nice to use, it is made of plastic and, like all plastics, will eventually get brttle. Then the seams etc. could come apart. After all your hard work, that would not be a nice thing to happen!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
I am glad for this discussion because as a new quilter, I have been baffled about the quilting part. Granted, I have yet to take a class, but I have done a lot of looking at pictures on this board. I love each and every one of the quilts/projects I have seen, and the quilting of feathers, curliques, etc is exquisite, but still, I am afraid to do it. As an example, I am attaching a picture that I still do not know what to do with. I think it is beautiful "as is" and am scared to ruin the simplicity and beauty of the cat by running thread all over him. Small projects such as potholders and placemats can "take" and often demand a lot of stippling, but I want this quilt to be natural. So, my dilemna is - should I or shouldn't I do anything but SID on this one. Can't make up my mind, thus this has sat as a UFO since February, 2010. I don't need it until Christmas, so I still have some time to deal with it. And this is my problem with all my projects. Is less more? Is more too much? Does this come with experience or is it a personal like/dislike thing? Thanks for listening and for your potential comments. Oops, how do I put my photo here?
The cat quilt is sooo beautiful Sharon. If you wanted to play around a little you could follow the edges of some of the leaves. Like you, I'm fairly new to learning the quilting part of the process, and I like my own quilts to be less quilted and fluffier. When I first started, I took apart a quilt from WalMart because I thought the batting had bundled up. It hadn't and so my first quilts were widely spaced, very widely spaced. I was actually very suprised when the batting instructions would say quilt no more than 3" to 4" apart. Experiment Sharon. There are no rules. I send my Personal "rejects" to friends and family. Not really rejects, but closer batting stitching than I like on my own bed. I experiment on every quilt; trying out the different styles that I run across. :roll: ;)
Old 09-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TX GMimi
I've been told that although monofilament is nice to use, it is made of plastic and, like all plastics, will eventually get brttle. Then the seams etc. could come apart. After all your hard work, that would not be a nice thing to happen!
It would be okay with me if the quilting on my Dresden came apart, because then I would quilt it with thread and I would like it much better. It is just too big of a pain to take it out, or I would.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM

This has been an interesting thread to follow- lots of different opinion on the subject!