Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever been this stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Then there was the "Sprite in the steam iron" incident. :oops:
    Oh I'm so glad. Fortunately I only ALMOST had diet sierra mist in my iron, just inches away when I saw bubbles!

How I handle these issues....
    Have a good cry, pull out the secret stash of chocolate, and the "big" wine glasses (you know-those nice ones you bough while your husband was out of town). Fill it to the top, sip about half out while it is still on the counter...don't want any spill on your clean floor...wow that taste great, now refill that sip...don't want to carry a half full glass upstairs. Then take you glass and half of wine and chocolates to the bath tub. Wait grab that bottle of wine. No point in having to come back down in your bath robe. Light some candles, eat your chocolate, finish the bottle of wine (helpful tip-drink 2 bottles of water to ward off the headache that is waiting for you tomorrow) , enjoy a nice long hot bath. Get a good nights sleep....Tomorrow you will know how to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by merridancer
    Yup, did that very thing. Didn't notice it until after I gave it to them. Too late to do anything about it. After it was washed a few times, it stopped crackling.

I left a measuring tape in another one. It's still in it.

They make great stories to rag me about.
    HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE................................ .I can see it all now.........................as long as you are NOT a surgeon!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you get them to adhere without removing the backing?

Sometimes we have to laugh at ourselves over things we do - I know I have done things like that

Hey, I agree,, I have laughed at myself many a morning telling myself that I have to start taking breaks (like work) so I don't get tired or rushed. That's when I make big ones. The owner of the big box store, H.Depot, told us as a class, "If you do not make an mistakes, or haven't asked any questions, then you haven't learned anything." SSSSSOOOOOOOOO Right!!!!!!!

I would have given them the quilt and not worried about it. The paper would give it body and no one would know it wasn't supposed to be that way. A "good enough" story if I ever heard one.

Carol J.

Blog Entries
    I've done tons worse! I'd just take this out from the back and say you meant to do it that way all along:wink:

Blog Entries
    Has any one squared up there block and learn they cut off there points i have been sewing and squaring away and realized i didn't allow for my 1/4 in seam on my blocks i am so frustrated i cut and sewed about 7 12"blocks already.I guess it doesn't pay to get in a hurry :(

I am so sorry that you did this, however I bet that this will never happen to you again!

TreeFrog

PJO

I've done worse, and I'm very sorry this happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterfly
    If I don't do something stupid every day I get confused.
    I"m with ya there. It also confuses others. Ha. :thumbup:

If it's a wall hanging, can't it just be left as is??

Quote Originally Posted by merridancer
    Yup, did that very thing. Didn't notice it until after I gave it to them. Too late to do anything about it. After it was washed a few times, it stopped crackling.

I left a measuring tape in another one. It's still in it.

They make great stories to rag me about.
    Thats GREAT,... My MIL gave me a single size quilt that still had straight pins sewn into it. That was realllll cozy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis' Granny B
    Ditto with leaving the paper in if it is a wall hanging. Many of the older quilters left the paper in, especiallyEnglish paper piecing. Some quilters were so poor that they actually used paper instead of batting. Don't beat up on yourself. If the kids hear any crackling.... it's the robots :lol:
    I agree with the others. If you slit the back and take the paper out it will reseal when you iron on the pieces.
    The class will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by brings
    Has any one squared up there block and learn they cut off there points i have been sewing and squaring away and realized i didn't allow for my 1/4 in seam on my blocks i am so frustrated i cut and sewed about 7 12"blocks already.I guess it doesn't pay to get in a hurry :(
    Oh yes,... My first attemt with a "Stack and whack" kaliediscope was just like that. I wound up adding strips around it to give me some space and hopefully disguise alot of the errors. I suppose this goes back to the "good enough" comments

Blog Entries
    I should send you my list (long) of mistakes. Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or to cry!

:You mean that robots don't make that noise???? Tell the kids that you forgot to oil them before you sewed them on. My big question is WHY are you hand appliquing robots on a quilt for children? You must be a good soul!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh, I am so glad I only drink caffeine free coke.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterfly
    If I don't do something stupid every day I get confused.
    LOL....good one!!! Me too!! Luckily, I'm not confused very much...haha!!

Blog Entries
    I'm not laughing at you, really I'm not. I feel your pain.

I've left pins in one of my quilts! I got pricked by them is how I knew, so don't beat yourself up.

I think this is God sending us little messages to open our eyes to the fact that we are only human, we make mistakes and those of us that admit our mistakes are the ones who learn from them and become better at everything we do. Congratulations you a definately a member of the human race and a wonderful person to do this for your daughter's class.

Love to see the pictures before you gift it.
    Andie :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by MZStitch
    I took a class with Author Linda Poole. Her whole applique method is to stitch it down then cut a slit in the back and pull the paper out. I prefer the old needle turn freezer paper method so the papers always on top so I don't forget it, as I know how easy it must be to forget it! So you could slit the back, pull the paper out, it would likely be just fine. I can't remember if she whip stitched it closed, I likely would,
    If it's on the back, and it's going to be ironed on, why would you need to whipstitch it closed?

I have done to"ironed to the wrong side of the fabric" trick and that can't be reversed.

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Oh, there are many stupider things I have done. I quilted over a safety pin that was basting my quilt together and didn't notice until I had finished and bound the quilt.

Then there was the "Sprite in the steam iron" incident. :oops:

So that was YOU!!! (with the Sprite!)
    :lol: My husband even got a chuckle out of that one...Said it sounded like something I would do!!! :?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast