Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ever forget where the quilt went??

mim

ever forget where the quilt went??

I was clearing all the pix from my camera today and there was a pix of a quilt and the pix date was a year ago. I could remember making the quilt -- after all I spend hours hand quilting -- but I couldn't remember who I gave it to. It wasn't spectacular -- it is a puzzle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe go back and look at your posts to see if you mention it somewhere?

The ones I make for specific people I typically remember, not only that but the fabrics in it remind me when I use them again. The donation ones not so much. Sometimes though I will see a photo of a quilt and I can recognize it as my work or fabric but don't remember it at all!
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Not yet!! But I have forgotten some of my UFOs until I find them in a bag.

Blog Entries
    I have done that. also forget what gift i gave for Christmas. bad memory is a bear.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I frequently forget who got what quilt or even if I still have it. I looked for a quilt once for more than 3 years. I knew I did not give it away. For the life of me I could not find it. I finally found it wrapped up in a mattress on a fold out sofa. What relife and joy! Now I have it elsewhere and won't mislay it again. Charity quilts are difficult to recall where they have gone. I have done so many.

Yes, definitely. I prefer to give my quilts away so, I have given them to friends of my son and others that I think are quilt worthy. Sometimes I see a photo and think, who got that?

It is a beautiful quilt, maybe the person that got it will come to mind. Try thinking about it and perhaps their name will come to you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

DJ
    It's very nice. Do you think you may have donated it? I usually keep a pretty good record of who I give what to, and I often need to refer to it.

It is a good reminder to keep records. Pretty quilt.

I agree with some of the other posts - I have forgotten UFO's. I am guessing it will come to you in the middle of the night.

Blog Entries
    Funny thing! I take pictures of my quilts and they are in an album. I was looking last night and I saw a quilt I made several years ago. I loved making it but where did it go? I don’t think it was one I donated. The hunt is on!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

LOL DH and I forgot what happened to a love seat we had. I asked him what happened to the leather love seat we had, we bought it with the sofa. He said I remember it but have no idea where it is. We bought new furniture and kept the sofa but have no remembrance of what happen to the love seat. The kids said they didn't have it but remembered it. It's one of many of our I have no idea mysteries.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I regret not keeping a quilt journal of all the quilts I have given away.
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Blog Entries
    I kept small photo albums for years but finally quit that too. have some photos on the computer but mainly due to posting on forums.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    Hope you find it, Its very sweet! Love the colors.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I just have been keeping a record of the finished quilts in a little spiral notebook....doesn't take too long to jot down a brief discription of the qiult....I usually also add the size (sometimes before and after it is washed and quilted), the type of batting used, the type of thread used to quilt it with, and where it went. I now have 52 quilts in my notebook which I started when I got my long arm. It is fun to look back....

I try to write down who I give a quilt to, also, but sometimes I forget. I do give quilts to the hospital and various charities/disasters as they occur. Those are usually the ones I forget to make a note of. But at least I got a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
    Maybe go back and look at your posts to see if you mention it somewhere?

The ones I make for specific people I typically remember, not only that but the fabrics in it remind me when I use them again. The donation ones not so much. Sometimes though I will see a photo of a quilt and I can recognize it as my work or fabric but don't remember it at all!

Ditto to Iceblossom. Those made specifically for an individual or an event, I recall. I created a picture list of unidentified quilts as I try to make a useful history of my "body of work". I hope that a memory will pop up with where the quilt went. So, MIM, don't feel you are the only one. I suspect we who make lots of quilts do forget some. It is kind of fun to stumble on an older photo and mumble to one's self in amazement, "I made that? Wow! Didn't know I was that good." From time to time, I mumble, "What was I thinking!"

Since the majority of mine are for children's charities, I never know where they really go. But I do have questions about a favorite of mine I made for myself many years ago from green and violet flowered material. I'm a February child so it was my birth month flower. The last time I saw it my daughter had it in her room, but she has claimed for years that she doesn't have it and that she hates the color purple. It just vanished in a puff of smoke!!

I love the quilt do you have the pattern that you can share? After reading your pist I will start writing them down

I take a pix of everything I make and where it went, then it goes into a photo book with a little info about it. I enjoy looking at it every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
    Not yet!! But I have forgotten some of my UFOs until I find them in a bag.
    Me too! But seriously only keep pictures of the final quilt, with no information about pattern, fabric etc. or who I gave it to. I think I still remember the latter...........not withstanding charity quilts. The kids wouldn't care who the recipient was, or even know them so I don't bother. Kuddos to those that are more organized than I !!

I've done that, years ago I made a quilt for an elderly aunt, it was one of my early quilts. After she passed away in 2001 I kept the quilt thinking one of these day I would add more quilting, it had the bare minimum, I was still learning. So several months ago I decided it is time to work on it, searched the whole house couldn't find it. Thought I had lost my mind, luckily a few weeks later my out of state daughter sent me a photo of our great grandson, in the background was that quilt! I had given it to her when we were moving, totally forgot.

mim
    It's just a basic 9 patch with lattice. I usually make 3" squares -- or sort of 3". I bet on baseball games with other quilters on line and they are 6 1/2" squares. So cutting them up and squaring them ends up with a 3 1/4" before seams. The swap is lots of fun at the end of the season to receive squares from teams who lost to mine. Also it is a good way to use up stash when my team(s) have a bad season. Can you believe the red sox and Orioles?? both bottom teams this year. I used up a lot of stash fabrics that were "what ever made me buy that??"

Quote Originally Posted by Hryust View Post
    I love the quilt do you have the pattern that you can share? After reading your pist I will start writing them down

Blog Entries
    This hapens to me with donation quilts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast