Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Ever Try An "Easy Quilt Pattern",That Was Anything But?

I don't think log cabin is an "easy" quilt pattern. To keep all those logs straight as a beginner is almost impossible. I waited years before I tried to make one and was pleased with the results because I could finally sew a straight line and 1/4 inch seam correctly (at least for me).

:hunf: Most of the ones that say easy, especially the "make it in two days over the weekend" obviously have a lot more experience, time and patience than I do. Not only are they 48 hour weekend job, but the pieces rarely come out the way I expect and I don't think they count how long it takes to cut it all out. LOL

Blog Entries
    Hi Grandma Pat if you go to ABOUT.COM you will find a printout of the log cabin it also explains all about paper piecing and seems to have other patterns also--I never did it but am going to give it a try. all I did was in search put paper piecing came up with sits and picked on. Have fun as I am hoping to do.
    Fran

Blog Entries
    TRUDEY your log cabin wreath is georgeous what a beautiful wall hanging at christmas. do you remember what issue of Macalls mag. had the pattern? That is worth giveing the log cabin a try.
    Fran

Blog Entries
    OK, thanks. I'm going to give it a try and see what I come up with.

Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willferg
    I did a log cabin recently, made it completely scrappy which was much too much complicated for me, and then the blocks weren't square. Arggghhh!

But, when I sewed them together, it all came out right, and make a nice quilt. So would I do it again? Yes, but forget the scrappy!

Here are links to the two I've done:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...01604069Sumfpf

and

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01604069wCfvkU
    Nice! I have Eleanor Burns log cabin book. I may try it one day. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by fran624
    TRUDEY your log cabin wreath is georgeous what a beautiful wall hanging at christmas. do you remember what issue of Macalls mag. had the pattern? That is worth giveing the log cabin a try.
    Fran
    McCalls Quilting December 1999

Same thing with me attempted one log cabin and got totally frustrated and have never done another one.

Blog Entries
    I think it was more a case of us frustrated LC makers not knowing how to line up,square up & that 1/4" seam.Not because we were dumb.By the looks of the quilt on your avatar, I bet you could make a beautiful LC now.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebelle
    Same thing with me attempted one log cabin and got totally frustrated and have never done another one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Trudey going to look on e-bay for it they are always selling old quilt. mag. but boy that is really going back-1999 maybe I'll get lucky
    Fran

Love them both.

Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Had always admired log cabin quilts.So after getting my feet wet by piecing a couple tops,it was time to make my fav.
    A mag article saying log cabin quilts were soooo easy & great for beginners was all it took.
    Knowing nothing about fabric grain,squaring blocks or using a quarter inch seam...a straight seam, you can imagine the results.
    It was a few yrs & a few quilts later before I stopped admiring long enough to admit what a wonky quilt it was.

That was 20 yrs ago & I've never had the nerve to make another LC:-)
    I love log cabins too. Unfortunatly I chose to do a table runner made up of blocks made with 1 inch strips! It was the second quilting project I did. It's amazing I stuck with quilting after that!
    P.S. I have not tackeled another log cabin since. :)

i just finished one today (top) and i don't even want to quilt it and i don't have the nerve to take it to be quilted it's such a mess. i might try it in sections something i have never done also. i would try another one but there is no way i would do one again. this friend has been waiting for this for months. so it's nice to know others don't like it either, sorry elly burns a quilt in a day NO WAY. thanks for sharing. love this site.

My first rotary/strip piece quilt was "Log Cabin Quilt in a Day", by Eleanor Burns. I took it as a class.....Of course it took more than a day for me to finish it....don't ask how long. : ) It turned out very well for my first full sized quilt.

I love the second quilt....good times....it's so cool! :thumbup:

Wow, I have been just reading everything, but decided it's time to jump in & join the fun. I always wanted to make a denim rag quilt; bought a pattern, saved jeans from everyone in the family, etc. I used a pattern using a circle. It started simple enough until it came time to put rows together; easy, HAH! I managed to complete it last year after several "start,stops" since fall,2004. I only managed to break a total of 2 needles. Log cabin is a piece of cake in comparison! Keep on sewing/quilting & doing what you find to be fun for you!

SueDor,
    You log cabin quilts look great! :thumbup:

Mine look a lot different than yours do. I do them totally scrappy.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719mnGgoi

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719chaqYB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4