Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever Try An "Easy Quilt Pattern",That Was Anything But?

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Love them both but the star would be my fav. Nice work. Hope mine come out anywhere near as well as yours did. Doubtful but I can wish can't I?
    :-D

Blog Entries
    If I was to make another braid quilt....never happen!....I'd make a
    sample first.It's not hard,just tedious.My K size braid quilt...my 1st quilt
    is so bias & floppy.Had no clue what I was doing :-)

Guess we all have a pattern or two that just doesn't work.

Your log cabin quilts are beautiful!

Wow, those are gorgeous!! I love, love, love the small "star" shaped one . . . I am working on a log cabin right now. It's definitely NOT a Quilt in a Day! Sheesh! :!:

Blog Entries
    They are both beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa
    I feel your pain, I hated the log cabin I made many years ago. The blocks did not come out sq. or even and I will never attempt another one even though I have made many quilts since then that turned out wll.
    I love log cabins, but after having them all get wonky, too. Now I print out paper foundations and paper piece and they trun out perfectly!

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    When I first started quilting I had the same experience. Determined to make it look right, I made my own paper template and paper pieced it. Success. Straight, Squared and beautiful.
    I agree!!!
    Paper piecing is the best way to go with a log cabin.
    And I just do not understand why the quilting books and magazines all say "a log cabin is the easiest pattern for the beginner to use." That's a bunch of baloney! I can think of a lot more blocks that are much easier for a beginning beginner to start out with.

8-)

Blog Entries
    Where do you get the paper pieced pattern to print out? I might try that. I've never paper-pieced before.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Had always admired log cabin quilts.So after getting my feet wet by piecing a couple tops,it was time to make my fav.
    A mag article saying log cabin quilts were soooo easy & great for beginners was all it took.
    Knowing nothing about fabric grain,squaring blocks or using a quarter inch seam...a straight seam, you can imagine the results.
    It was a few yrs & a few quilts later before I stopped admiring long enough to admit what a wonky quilt it was.

That was 20 yrs ago & I've never had the nerve to make another LC:-)

Call me odd ...but I thought the log cabin was easy
    :shock:
    The 2nd quilt I ever made was a LC....I think it turned out nice and it went together easy....
    Attached Images Attached Images

ROTFLOL! I'm still with hubby after 37yrs but I completely understand about the PP/aggravation.

I am not a fan of paper piecing - Love the look, but if I wanted that kind of aggravation, I would have stayed with my ex![/quote]

Blog Entries
    I posted about a log cabin I was doing for a graduation gift. I thought I was going crazy.... It ended up looking OK but still had major mistakes that only I could tell. I may try another one in 10 years or so. :roll:

Blog Entries
    Oh that LC is so pretty.....looks like what I was hoping mine would look like.Didn't happen! Thanks for sharing the pics.

I didn't do a log cabin until my 10th or so quilt, and I remember thinking that I was glad I waited until I had a few under my belt before taking it on.

WOW...I'm amazed at all the negative comments. I think the Log Cabin is one of the greatest. I made a king size. And this was my second quilt. A kit I got. Pic. below.

Question....do you chain stitch your blocks.

Place center square on table....and second strip. If it's a kit, it will be cut. If it's not a kit. keep your second piece in a strip (don't cut into square). Sew first set of square on top of strip and continue down the strip placing the small square face down on strip close to the first. Then trim. This is your second square and do the same with third strip. Hope this makes sense.

When the last set is sewn,,,, all your blocks are complete at the same time and ready to join into quilt.

The date say 2009 but that's because I requested a photo from girlfriend who has the quilt. My color scheme changed from these colors and gave the quilt to her and her husband. And they are still using it on their bed.

I made this quilt 20 yers ago.

Blog Entries
    Love your quilt.I made a LC table runner a few yrs ago using the same colors.It covers the desk in DD's home.

Will save the instructions you sent.I do like strip piecing....all seems to go faster.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amorerm
    The date say 2009 but that's because I requested a photo from girlfriend who has the quilt. My color scheme changed from these colors and gave the quilt to her and her husband. And they are still using it on their bed.

I made this quilt 20 yers ago.

The first two log cabin blocks I made ended up different sizes so I knew I had to do something different. What worked for me was to cut the strips at least a sixteenth of an inch wider than the pattern said, and after sewing on each round of strips, I trimmed them to the correct size.

Any time I can make quilting blocks slightly larger and then trim them to the correct size, I do it. Evidently my sewing machine is defective in some way and does not allow me to sew a perfect 1/4 inch seam :).

Here's the one and only log cabin I've made.

Blog Entries
    Your LC is great. Believe me, no one wants to see a pic of mine. LOL Poor lonely quilt.Ahh well, it was a good learning experience & one I still love.

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnB
    The first two log cabin blocks I made ended up different sizes so I knew I had to do something different. What worked for me was to cut the strips at least a sixteenth of an inch wider than the pattern said, and after sewing on each round of strips, I trimmed them to the correct size.

Any time I can make quilting blocks slightly larger and then trim them to the correct size, I do it. Evidently my sewing machine is defective in some way and does not allow me to sew a perfect 1/4 inch seam :).

Here's the one and only log cabin I've made.

The first quilt I ever did was a king size log cabin quilt. The store where I bought material to make clothes offered the course and I took it. It is not perfect but, after 25+years I still have it on the bed. Made several more after that one for all three children, and a former friend.

I didn't ever have a problem with a Log Cabin. And believe me that is a problem could be found, I would be the one to find it. So sorry about your problem. I love Log Cabins. Have you paper pieced one?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I made a large log cabin as my second finished quilt. It really wasn't that hard. I think I started using the strip piecing but that confused me - so I finished each block at a time. My sister still has it on her bed.

I teach Log Cabin quilt at the beginning level. It's great because you learn to cut accurately (each log is cut to size - no short cuts for beginners) sew accurately (it has to meet or you cut/sewed wrong), press (not iron) accurately. You need to develop these 3 skills for any pattern to turn out. It also is a great pattern to have you start thinking about fabric value. The Log Cabin has a bizillion layouts so it's a great introduction to playing with your blocks and in a class you get to see how it works for others as well. I haven't had student failure yet and am always inspired by my students choices of colors and layout. I love this pattern, can you tell!!!

Blog Entries
    Several posters have asked if I did paper piecing? I actually learned to PP early on,but have never done a bed quilt with it.Back when I made mine, I really had no clue about quilts.Everything I learned came from quilting mags.Can't believe I didn't know blocks had to be squared.I was pretty hopeless.All I know came from mags & books.Never will be expert.,but love making quilt tops.

Quote Originally Posted by tryitall
    I didn't ever have a problem with a Log Cabin. And believe me that is a problem could be found, I would be the one to find it. So sorry about your problem. I love Log Cabins. Have you paper pieced one?

Blog Entries
    I can tell & sounds like you're a great teacher.Wish there were more of them.The basics are where we all need to start....makes building so much easier....when the base is sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
    I teach Log Cabin quilt at the beginning level. It's great because you learn to cut accurately (each log is cut to size - no short cuts for beginners) sew accurately (it has to meet or you cut/sewed wrong), press (not iron) accurately. You need to develop these 3 skills for any pattern to turn out. It also is a great pattern to have you start thinking about fabric value. The Log Cabin has a bizillion layouts so it's a great introduction to playing with your blocks and in a class you get to see how it works for others as well. I haven't had student failure yet and am always inspired by my students choices of colors and layout. I love this pattern, can you tell!!!

OK...as a beginner, I will wait a while until I attempt one of those! But they sure look pretty! I'm still not sure what fabric grain is!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast