Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Every heard of a Betty Gall ruler?

Blog Entries

Every heard of a Betty Gall ruler?

I picked up a 1986 Betty Gall ruler from a thrift store recently and I want to know where I might get another. The underside of it has grates that hold on the fabric. Any ideas?

If you google Betty Gall ruler you can find them. I found one site - www.quiltersrule.com/rulers/qr-fgr.html

Turns out I had one - it is very chipped from my learning curve with the rotary cutter.

Blog Entries
    I have one, too! Never have seen one in shops and just thought I couldn't get another. Love mine, but as Quiltingcandy said, mine is in rough shape from my use and my Mother's. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Guess what? I have 2. Purchased last year for there gripping quality because I was having a hand op and would have little use in left hand. They are a little chipped where I missed try to cut. But useable especially to a class. I'm an expert at breaking my 24inch ruler. Just glueing one together thanks to this site.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I just looked them up. They certainly are reasonably priced! If I was in the market for a new ruler, I would give one a try! I have a feeling that I won't need to buy another ruler as long as I am on this earth!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quilter's Rule is the manufacturer for the rulers...I haven't seen them in a long time. They weren't the best rulers, seems that the plastic wore down and they needed to be replaced more frequently than other rulers to stay accurate. And the lines were thicker, so harder for me at least to read them and to cut accurately. I know that people did like how they gripped the fabric, as the underside of the ruler wasn't smooth.

Blog Entries
    Creative Grids rulers have built in grips.

http://creativegridsusa.com/
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have one also, 6 1/2" x 24". I use it when trimming my quilts after quilting. It does do a good job of gripping the layers and does not slip.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    You all are very correct about the chipping--mine is very chipped along the edges, which is why I want another. I love the way it grips--grips, but chips....

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Creative Grids rulers have built in grips.

http://creativegridsusa.com/
    Love Creative Grids, wish all my rulers were from them!

Blog Entries
    The acrylic used then doesn't seem to be the same quality as the acrylic used now. I have one and it has turned cloudy and slivers have peeled off the edges. I don't know why I am keeping it. I guess because it was the first ruler I bought.
    Got fabric?

I had forgotten about these when the omnigid came out. I just saw some of these on e-bay and wow they are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more expensive than going to Quilter's Rule. I would hope the quality of the plastic that Quilter's Rule uses is better now than in 1983.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Banned
    Before you buy from Quilter's Rule you should contact them and make sure they still make the rulers like the Betty Gall rulers. They may have changed when they purchased the company/

Never heard of them - I learn something new every time I get on this board!

They'll have to pry my 121/2" Square Quilter's Rule out of my cold dead hands to get it away from me. I use it so often to cut precise squares and to square up done blocks. I especially loved it when doing rag quilts, layer up several folds and situate for the right size square and zip, zip, ready to sew. Many a flannel rag quilt done quickly because of this ruler.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    If you google Betty Gall ruler you can find them. I found one site - www.quiltersrule.com/rulers/qr-fgr.html

Turns out I had one - it is very chipped from my learning curve with the rotary cutter.
    My Betty Gall ruler says 1983. Apparently that's when they came out. I may have bought it then. I never knew about the gripping effect, but now that I feel both sides of it, I can feel the difference.

I love my Betty Gall ruler! It is 24 by 6 1/2, which is an odd size now. I got used to it, and don't like to use my 24 x 6.
    The trouble is: the black lettering is wearing off, and I can't read the inch markings on a lot of it. What a bummer.
    Should I buy a new one? That is the question!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness! My neighbor stopped by the other day and had been cleaning out her mother's attic and found one. Asked me if I could use it. Sure, she didn't want anything for it. Her grandson was having a lemonade stand set up for next weekend. I gave her $10.00 to help him get started. Least I could do.

I rely on sandpaper dots or dots of Rubber Cement to hold my rulers steady.

I checked them out on line. The prices aren't bad

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I have a feeling that I won't need to buy another ruler as long as I am on this earth!!
    Never say never!

I have two of the Quilter's Rule 6 1/2 inch square rulers and love them. I have chipped a corner off and they tend to get "smokey", (they don't stay clear), but they are, by far, my favorite rulers!

I have two square-up rulers from Quilters Rule, and I just e-mailed them asking if they have improved their product... referring to the chipping and clouding. They e-mailed back saying they are made of acrylic, and that tends to chip. Also, they said not to wipe the rulers with anything that has ammonia in it. I have never wiped mine clean, and they clouded anyway. I asked them if the rulers have improved from the original, and they said they are the same as before. I guess, if one really likes the gripping, (which I do), then you'd need to be more careful about the chipping... not much can be done about the clouding.