Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Everything I touch today....

Yay you! Glad you got the problem solved. It's sooo frustrating to be sewing away and have the thread break or jam up or any of the 3 million other things that can go wrong with the machines!

Sounds Like you Need to Say "Everything I Touch Today Turns To Gold" Put out Positive Receive Positive. Of Course a Nap will also help. Let us know how your nap goes :-D

Blog Entries
    Here are some pics of a quilt I did for a GD that lived with me from the age of 12 to 18 and I wanted it to be ready when she and her husband and baby visited on the 4th of July weekend. Well 1st the whack and stack went wackie and I had to hand cut everything then every needle I tried broke, then while meandering the thread kept breaking and on top of that I had to rip 6 times 2 of those being all of the center part. The happy part of these is that she was thrilled with it. I walked away from that thing many many times, One time I even threw it in the trash, LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by koko
    Maybe a new needle and change of thread would fix the problems??
    I totally agree. Just had that experience with embroidering. I was blaming the thread, and finally changed the needle. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by lillybeck
    Here are some pics of a quilt I did for a GD that lived with me from the age of 12 to 18 and I wanted it to be ready when she and her husband and baby visited on the 4th of July weekend. Well 1st the whack and stack went wackie and I had to hand cut everything then every needle I tried broke, then while meandering the thread kept breaking and on top of that I had to rip 6 times 2 of those being all of the center part. The happy part of these is that she was thrilled with it. I walked away from that thing many many times, One time I even threw it in the trash, LOL
    That is a lovely quilt and good for you, sticking to it and getting it done. I know the feeling, one time I was working on a top and the blocks just looked awful and wanted to throw it under a Mack truck, but I continued and when the borders got on it I liked it. Jan

Blog Entries
    A good shot of Wild Turkey might help. LOL

Some days you cant win, Do not give up on all your machines, If a machine keeps breaking thread, it ususally is the tension, the wrong size needle, or it needs a really good cleaning. 2 days ago I was trying tofinish something on my vintage 401, it just kept jamming thread in the bobbin case, I cleaned it no help, long story short after about an hour, I realized I had put a newly wound bobbin in the machine on a NEW bobbin, guess what that bobbin does the same in another 401 that I own, so it went in the trash, and another older bobbin went in the machine and it works just like it always does.

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    I think you all need chocolate! Lots of it!
    Give me some too, Lots of it. :thumbup:

Did you try putting in a new needle? Sometimes that works for me Just be sure its seated right

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Sounds like a nap might be in order. Walking away for a while does wonders sometimes and since you're sick, you're not quite yourself anyway. Wishing you luck!
    Good advice, just walk away and rest. Do something else. Come back to your machines when you feel better. Things usually go better when we are feeling better.

We have and will continue to have days like the one you had today. Take a break, have a cup of coffee, pick up a magazine , go outside and get some fresh air, get in the car and shop, just get away from the machines. It will be better tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    I think you all need chocolate! Lots of it!
    GOOD FOR EVERYTHING !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    A good shot of Wild Turkey might help. LOL
    It sure couldn't hurt!! hahaha

Try again tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    Hummm, I'm thinking a glass of red wine is in order!
    I'm with you! Especially if it goes with chocolate! LOL

Rethread, another needle and make sure you have the right bobbin in the machine. I had an issue with my one machine not picking up the thread, took the whole machine apart and could not get it right still, sent it to a friend and sure enough wrong bobbin! LOL Felt so dumb and silly but oh well it was a simple mistake. I even work on machines for customers and this is what I did to myself.

I found out years ago that machines have a mind of their own! I've had times when I've been sewing and then neither will sew--nothing has been changed. Give up and quit, try again the next day, still changing nothing, and they work like a charm. I think sometimes they just want to be stubborn and try to show us who is the boss!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Sounds like a nap might be in order. Walking away for a while does wonders sometimes and since you're sick, you're not quite yourself anyway. Wishing you luck!
    Take some hot cocoa and a heating pad with you. Warm and toasty is much better than cold, sick, and cranky! lol!

I have had a cold for 3 months and know that it causes frustration. Take care of yourself, be patient, give it all a rest and when you come back maybe something magic will happen. I like to do research on my issues when I am having a bad time as it serves as a helpful distraction. Do what makes you feel better.

Blog Entries
    On those kind of days, just walk away.
    Make a lot of tea and take care of yourself.
    When you feel better, things will work better. You'll be able to troubleshoot better and you'll end up getting done faster with a better result.
    Go pamper the quilter, the quilt can wait.

sounds like a bad day to me! so take the day off, kick back and relax!!!!

Here is what you do! Get yourself a 5th of whiskey, does not really matter what brand, then drink it down as fast as you can, all of it.
    Now after drinking said drink you will notice that this action will not improve the workings of your sewing machines but you really won't care as much.
    Problem solve.
    Just kidding, hope you feel better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    messes up! Grrr! I've been fighting a yucky head cold for two days now. Today I want to finish a quilt and none of my machines will work! They worked earlier this week! My Kenmore needs to go to the shop but no money....my white (my old workhorse) is suddenly not working either. I can pick up thread by turning the wheel but when I try to sew the top thread just breaks. I've rethreaded, cleaned, oiled....and anything else I could think of. So I remember the antique white rotary I got this summer.....hmmm. Nope it won't pick up thread either. So it must be me! So here I sit wanting to sew and can't. If I felt better I'd break that credit card out of the safe and go use it to buy a new machine! I'm scared to try the treadle....it was my grandmother's and I hate to mess it up too.
    STEP AWAY FROM THE MACHINE.
    STEP AWAY FROM THE MACHINE.
    STEP AWAY FROM THE MACHINE......NOW.....
    EAT CHOCOLATE INSTEAD, WITH A CUP OF TEA..........
    (and feel better soon...............hugs)

community benefactor
    I was having a similar problem and found after many frustrating tries that it was caused by an old bobbin. Put in another bobbin and it worked fine.

I had problems the other day with my machine. It just kept tangling up from the bobbin. I needed to do free motion and have an old Viking that doesn't do free motion. Anyway I went to Wal Mart and bought a Brother for $135.00. I love it. My Bernina doesn't sew as smooth. Anyway I need to take my machine in but love this new cheap machine better. Oh well, I will get my Bernina serviced and use that one for a spare.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast