Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Excited about Quilt Expo Results. >

Excited about Quilt Expo Results.

Excited about Quilt Expo Results.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:04 PM

I am worried that I would have to sign a deal that says I give her all the rights to my patterns. She said I get ten copies for free to give out, then I get a dollar per pattern she sells for the first five hundred. After that, she gets all the money from the sales. I have to wait until the pattern sells to get paid, so I haven't decided if it is worth it, but now I am thinking it probably isn't. Thanks for letting me know that that is too low.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Sell the patterns to her at a wholesale price so that you can sell them too. No big deal, and you don't lose you right to them.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 AM

I'd look into Quiltwoman - google it. A friend of mine designs and works with her.
By the way, good to hear from you. I've wondered how you were.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 AM

Sounds like you had a great time. Did you take pictures of your booth? Would love to see the organizers and bumper stickers you were selling. Also would love to see pictures of the quilts that the patterns are going to be famous for. :thumbup:
Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like two fun a productive days. Congrats of the offer. Think it over carefully. Don't let someone else profit from your talent.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Oh.. that same lady who bought all the organizers also saw some of my quilts that I designed and asked if I would let her market my patterns. She wants me to write patterns for her company. I would make $500.00 a pattern that she markets. I am seriously thinking about it. (My sister thinks that I should sell them at our booth instead, but I don't want to have to print them and get them into envelopes. Not only that, but I won't have the exposure in order to get them sold.)
Though, a website may be sufficient exposure. I'm not sure $500 is actually a good deal...for all the hours of work writing and drafting it up. If it's a hot seller at $9-$12 a pop then I don't know if $500 is adequate. It may be worth giving it a go with your sister and put them on a website. If it works out that you don't want to continue you can always fall back on the offer. That's wonderful news!
I agree, doesn't sound like alot of $ to me. You do all the work.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I would look at it this way. If you want to design, market, copyright, and sell your patterns then remember how much time you'd have spent compared to letting someone else do all that. I'd let someone else do the work to get my name out there, probably more places then I could get a foot in the door to start with.