Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Expensive sheets at the thrift store? >

Expensive sheets at the thrift store?

Expensive sheets at the thrift store?

Old 02-08-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
Not all thrift stores are non profit stores. Around here we have a couple of stores for profit. Also some times I find a thrift shop in a higher class neighborhood has higher prices than other areas.
I agree.....even the goodwill stores are priced based on location...I have " hit" several in different areas and the range is sometimes very surprising. I am beginning to think all of the good wills are getting overpriced lately....I really prefer
" church" based second hand stores....reasonable and sometimes one can offer below price marked and it will be accepted.......
Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 AM

Yes, they are pretty proud of their stuff. May price themselves out of business…………… Think they use a ouija board to price things. ;-)
Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 AM

I would be a little leery of thrift store elastic, it can lose it's stretch. Even in new unopened packaging.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 AM

If the sheets aren't the quality for using in your home, they are always good for foundation piecing. I save mine for that purpose; they work really well. Mariah.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I only shop at GW on 50% off days. I refuse to pay more for secondhand, than I can buy brand new (on sale) at Walmart.
I recently started following Bonnie Hunter and her scrap quilts. She buys men's shirts and uses the fabric in her quilts. I went to local thrift stores and was shocked to see the prices they were asking. $ 3.00 to $ 6.00 a shirt. Waiting for warmer weather and garage sales or saw an article in paper this week for recycle location that sells in bulk for $1.39 a pound and might get by there and see if you can get 100% cotton in bulk.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:27 AM

I agree with trying Joann first, yesterday I got muslin (just to practice my FMQ on) for only 1.19 a yard. I agree that 'thrift store' are not cheap - when we were looking for a fish tank they were only $15 less that the pet store!!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 AM

I've had the same experience. Some thrift stores sell used, scruffy items for more than I have bought them new on clearance. Just keep looking. I can't wait til it's warm enough for garage sales again. That's where a lot of my stash has come from.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

I found some Thrift stores to be out of line as far as pricing...I have found many to be great..It is like anything else...You have to hunt to find the deals...They are out there...
Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Check with the main administration of the thrift store. 6 or 7 years ago, I reported some bizarre stuff about our local Salvation Army store (high prices, unusual items that aren't appropriate) to the main administration and the manager was arrested several days later (apparently a lot more going on). Same thing happened again last year - new prices for used junk. I again contacted the main administration and there was a new manager in less than a week. They don't make any money if the merchandise doesn't move, but the high prices may indicate that something is up.

I have no issue with higher prices for NEW stuff (Target donates unsold items periodically), but they want merchandise to MOVE and it isn't going to if you charge near new prices.

Instead of sheets, consider buying low end muslin or making smaller projects until you feel comfortable with your machine. Hancocks had some $1.99 muslin that was 90 inches wide not too long ago. I personally don't bother using 'used' stuff to make quilts. For practice, it's just as easy to get something off the calico shelf at Joann's or use a coupon and get the 90 inch wide fabric. It will last longer than used fabric.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 PM

jemsister also consider checking Craigslist in your area for estate sales where you usually can buy sheets at a much better price. you may also be able to find fabric for sale. i went to several estate sales where the fabric was sold by the brown bag full for $10.00 and by the plastic grocery bag full for $5.00.

Most fabric shoppers know how to stuff a bag full with fabric so needless to say i walked away with lots of fabric for a relative inexpensive amount. i usually buy up the towels from estate sales to donate to my vet office.

good luck with your new journey to quilting. i hope you love it as much as us seasoned quilters do.