Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extra Large Cutting Mat >

Extra Large Cutting Mat

Extra Large Cutting Mat

Old 10-31-2020, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
My friend Cindi ordered a mat from a company called SpeedPress a few years ago. If I remember correctly, it was a custom size. She's been pretty happy with it. They make cutting mats for framers and artists, and the mats are designed for heavy-duty blade and cutter abuse. I'll ask her to pop in and update on how it's holding up after all this time.
Yes, I ordered it from SpeedPress, pretty sure about 8 years ago. It’s called the Magic Cutting Mat. It was custom-cut to the size I needed (about 72 x 45) at no extra charge. It’s been a fantastic cutting mat for me.
http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/2
Old 10-31-2020, 06:12 AM

When I wanted to upgraded my cutting table I searched for one to fit the table I had and couldn't find one so enlarged the table to fit the cutting mat I could find out there. Got one called Alvin Green that's green on 1 side and black on the other side. Both sides have markings on them, its self-healing and 4 x 8. Comes rolled up so will take a little bit of tiime to relax but I love mine and have had it for a number of years now with no complaints. Here's the website I went to.

www.gwjcompany.com
Old 10-31-2020, 06:26 AM

I bought my extra large mat at JAF 15+ years ago when one of their stores was closing near me. I got it for a great price so I grabbed it up at 75% off. As time has gone on I have to use it on the floor now because I can't reach across it. I use it mostly to trim a full quilt and square things up. I keep a standard size on my cutting counter.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:58 PM

Oh Snooze I searched and the Alvin Company is out of business
Old 10-31-2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Yes, I ordered it from SpeedPress, pretty sure about 8 years ago. It’s called the Magic Cutting Mat. It was custom-cut to the size I needed (about 72 x 45) at no extra charge. It’s been a fantastic cutting mat for me.
http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/2
I checked this out. Backordered not in stock at this point.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by mopec View Post
I checked this out. Backordered not in stock at this point.
If you order a specific size they are not considered backordered. They don’t make it until you buy it. Other standard sizes may be listed as backordered. Call them. They’re really nice and helpful.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I bought mine at joannes with a coupon, it is a white one, the one on my table now is about 12 years old- it replaced the one I had that was about 15 years old. It’s the same kind that my LQS uses- so they withstand a lot of cutting. Mine does have a few areas that are getting a little worn but I think I will still get a few years out of it. It gets used daily- lots!
I have a white one that I got from Joann's. It's about 34" x 60". I"ve had it for years and I haven't found that it dulls my rotary cutter blades. I got it with a 50% off coupon so the price was very reasonable.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:09 AM

So sorry to hear that, sure glad I got my mat when I did but it looks like a company called Speedpress is still in business. I did find my markings are not correct as I went along the length of it. Haven't checked the black side if its the same so I use a ruler when I go over anything past 12 inches in length just to be safe.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:40 AM

Default Cutting mat

Originally Posted by mopec View Post
I would like to purchase a cutting mat 40x60. I have searched with varying results. I know there are some out there that are death to rotary cutters and that do not hold up to use. Quilters Select does not make a mat that large. I have been told that there is a white mat that is not a good one but I have no idea which one. Martelli makes a large one, but I have a smaller Martelli and I'm not that in love with it. Do any of you have recommendations based on your personal use? Thanks for any input.
I have a Sew/ Fit heavy duty mat that is 40 x 72 and it's 20 years old and still in really good shape. I think keeping them clean is very important to making them last. Also, if I am cutting small pieces for a quilt, I put a smaller mat on top and cut on it. So, I only use the large mat for cutting garments out. I have a custom made cutting table, so this mat just stays on top of it all the time. I love it.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:41 AM

I have a Sew/ Fit heavy duty mat that is 40 x 72 and it's 20 years old and still in really good shape. I think keeping them clean is very important to making them last. Also, if I am cutting small pieces for a quilt, I put a smaller mat on top and cut on it. So, I only use the large mat for cutting garments out. I have a custom made cutting table, so this mat just stays on top of it all the time. I love it.