Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extra Large Cutting Mat >

Extra Large Cutting Mat

Extra Large Cutting Mat

Old 10-30-2020, 07:00 AM

Default Extra Large Cutting Mat

I would like to purchase a cutting mat 40x60. I have searched with varying results. I know there are some out there that are death to rotary cutters and that do not hold up to use. Quilters Select does not make a mat that large. I have been told that there is a white mat that is not a good one but I have no idea which one. Martelli makes a large one, but I have a smaller Martelli and I'm not that in love with it. Do any of you have recommendations based on your personal use? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:03 AM

I forgot to ask about the Horn cutting mats made for the Horn tables. Anyone have one of the mats?
Old 10-30-2020, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I have one a white one that covers my table. It's about 60" long. I got it at Tuesday Mornings years ago. It's still in very good shape. I think it is Sullivan's. It hasn't hurt my rotary cutter blades The surface the mat (any kind) lays on is important. A surface that has any give in it will be nothing but trouble.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:01 AM

Make sure the numbers are easy to read and work with for your cutting habits. I don't like a cluttered look on mats.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:30 AM

I just use two of the 24 X 35 inch matts butted up side by side....if you make sure that they are butted up, I don't have any problems cutting across them....they fit on my 6 foot table nicely. The only time I use both of them is when I trim the edges off of a quilt when I take it off the long arm....and I really don't even need it then as my arms are not that long when making a cut....the 6 foot table just helps to keep most of the quilt on the table.....I will sometimes use both ends when cutting backings to size....but often I just fold the fabric so everything fits on the table and cut through multiple layers....I don't really see the advantage of a huge mat.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I bought mine at joannes with a coupon, it is a white one, the one on my table now is about 12 years old- it replaced the one I had that was about 15 years old. It’s the same kind that my LQS uses- so they withstand a lot of cutting. Mine does have a few areas that are getting a little worn but I think I will still get a few years out of it. It gets used daily- lots!
Old 10-30-2020, 11:17 AM

Years and years ago, when I was still young and flexible, I had a table 36" wide with approp mat. I'm tall and I couldn't reach far enough to control the material and cut at the same time. Now I use 24" and walk around. If the quilt is really wide, it goes on the dining room table with 2 lg portable mats. I just don't need it that often and it takes up too much space.

Now you still want/need a wide table and mat, I think I'd ask the LQS what they use.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I have a spare big white mat that was given to me. I couldn't find a place to store it flat that wasn't an eyesore so I put it under the other one on the cutting table. I have my Quilter's Select on top of those two. LOL My cutting table is thick and sturdy to support the mats with no give.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:20 PM

My friend Cindi ordered a mat from a company called SpeedPress a few years ago. If I remember correctly, it was a custom size. She's been pretty happy with it. They make cutting mats for framers and artists, and the mats are designed for heavy-duty blade and cutter abuse. I'll ask her to pop in and update on how it's holding up after all this time.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:54 PM

mine is: Megamat
Quilters Rule
www.guilyer.com
1-800-343-8371