Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fab Hop >

Fab Hop

Fab Hop

Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 AM

I consider this related to quilting, if I'm wrong let me know and I'll go back to reading instead of typing :)
:D This is my first and last time to participate in this event. Don't get me wrong, I loved it but the temptation is toooooooo nerve racking. I could go broke with the BOM programs. I found 2 that I may try to go back and do, one is applique using the Piece O'Cake method. I never realized there were so many quilt shops online. I don't see how they all stay in business. When some of them said deep discounts I didn't see it. Most were $8.50 and up (the good stuff everyone wants, not the couldn't sell stuff). To me that is not a bargin. It's not a bargin if you don't use it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 AM

okie You joined on my Brithday. You have to do more typing. I like doing the FabShope Hop I have won 10.00 3xs now. Would love that caddy though.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM

Happy belated birthday. Now, if I win something I may have to rethink the whole thing. Congrats on the winnings. I did add to favorites some of the shops that had the unusal. Maybe that's a wrong choice of words. The shop that had something the others didn't. I did mark one shop that had a more batiks than I had ever seen in one place. And the visuals were so good. I know the color can vary because of computer screens but you could see the designs so well. Will definitely have to go back for a visit. I am so into batiks. I'm going to make my 3 nieces each a quilt using batiks and my serger using the flat seam. I've seen one made up and it really looked nice. This would be a lot quicker than trying to picec 3 quilts (queen size at that). I have to have them all done before I give them out. Can't show favoritism when you love them all the same. They are all sisters.

Back to the subject at hand, hope you win again and I hope I win something.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM

I do it for "mindless" surfing. But there are some nice shops out there. Not all of them are online shops, some are REAL LIFE shops but have online customers too.
I just make sure credit cards are VERY well hidden when I'm "hopping"
Old 10-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned

I have found 132 and am done for this year..
I may do it in nov/dec but it took a lot of time, and I doubt I will win anything. I earn 5$ a day so I don't have much money, and "What Credit card"? I'm 13 and my parents do not use credit cards aside from a pre-paid visa.
I found one shop in OR that is near me and I didn't even know it! :lol: (okay, its sort of but I bet I can get my mom to take me there)
Old 10-27-2008, 02:53 PM

I look at shop hopping much like I would going to an art museum. I can't get any to bring home, but it is a pleasant distraction, fun to look at. I won a $10 certificate last year.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Moonpi is a girl after my own heart. K don't buy online. More because of the price it costs than security reasons. But my "someday" lists have stuff on them thanks to the hop. I couldn't do all of them this year, but I've done some. I'll do the holiday one. I loved bookmarking the sites with the free patterns. You can never go wrong with free patterns.

I've also won 10.00 certificates in 2 hops. One store I was super excited to get ten bucks off something. The other I got a gift for a friend.

I like the hop process, just don't have a ton of time this time around. I like some of the clues you have to figure out though. I would buy kits if they were cheaper. They are all so beautiful!! Very tempting. Maybe I'll have to go hop just to get more someday ideas!!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 PM

I agree! You have to be careful with the shops. Many of them say they have deep discounts but all they really do is raise the retail price so it "looks" like they have a good deal.

Here is a good site for Moda cuts: QuiltersBiz.com There bundles, jelly rolls, charms and layer cakes are always 20% off.

They have a special going on right now with a 10% off coupon. If you use coupon code QUILTMKT1008 during checkout you get an even bigger discount.

This is my favorite site... their service is very good... usually ships same day.

Hope that helps navigate the sea of shops out there...

Cat_the_quilter
Old 10-27-2008, 05:08 PM

I won $10 for the August Hop, but then spent half a month trying to get them to honor it, so I only dabble a little bit, like Terri said mindless time. It fine for when when I'm on the phone... It helps also that I'm hunting for the bunny and not shopping. :D
Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 AM

Would some one explain the "shop hop" to this dummy (me)?
Welcome, Okie, from another Okie in SE OK, who goes to middle OK every other weekend. Maybe we can swap some fav fabric stores right here in OK.