Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Addiction >

Fabric Addiction

Fabric Addiction

Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
Originally Posted by raptureready
There's a lady in one of my classes that's a perfectionist. I applaud her. That I don't mind, it's just when people begin to think they've actually achieved perfection...
She told me one day not to substitute a different gold. I had enough to do all the blocks but not the cornerstones and borders. She said, Every time you look at it you'll remember that you had to compromise. I told her No, everytime I look at it I'll think WOW I finally finished that one and it's a beauty----and I do.
Good for you, I hope she understood your message to her. Penny
She did. She's still a perfectionist and I'm still not and we get along quite well.
:lol:
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
I agree with you. There would be no quilts if they had to do as our moms and grandmothers did for fabric. I remember my DEAR mom saving the tails of my Dads shirts, the legs of his jeans, the skirts of our dresses. to make quilt. I remember her saving a smallllll piece of the flour,sugar and feed sacks to match for a quilt. I even remember (as an a side) getting dishes out of Quaker Oats boxes. lol. Thank God for our nice shops,Joanne,w-m and hancock. jolo
Remember the striped towels that used to come in laundry detergent? And when you could get REAL prized in Cracker Jacks instead of just some little piece of paper?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Fox

....the only reason to buy the Cracker Jacks was for the prize wasn't it? I gave the popcorn to my brothers, ate the peanuts myself and kept the prize.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Allow me to be the first to welcome you :) It's a wonderful sickness to have. Expensive but wonderful :)
I agree it can be wonderful, as long as you can afford it.
If you start spending the grocery money? get help, lol!:XD:
(uh, leave that credit card at home! ;) )
Old 03-17-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fox
....the only reason to buy the Cracker Jacks was for the prize wasn't it? I gave the popcorn to my brothers, ate the peanuts myself and kept the prize.
HA HA HA I did the same thing. I don't like caramel corn to this day. Unless its homemade of course. It was a rare treat to get CJ's though only every now and then would Grandma and Grandpa get them for us. Usually it was Bazooka Bubble gum, candy corn or those horrible mushy big orange Circus Peanuts. I used to feed those to their dog. YUCK. We never got candy except for Easter and Christmas so even though I didn't like candy corn and bubble gum I'd eat it but those Circus Peanuts were too horrible even for a candy deprived kid to choke down.
Once Grandma even made homemade maple syrup candy. GAG!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM

HA HA HA I did the same thing. I don't like caramel corn to this day. Unless its homemade of course. It was a rare treat to get CJ's though only every now and then would Grandma and Grandpa get them for us. Usually it was Bazooka Bubble gum, candy corn or those horrible mushy big orange Circus Peanuts. I used to feed those to their dog. YUCK. We never got candy except for Easter and Christmas so even though I didn't like candy corn and bubble gum I'd eat it but those Circus Peanuts were too horrible even for a candy deprived kid to choke down.
Did she use real maple syrup?? I love maple sugar candy treats - grew up in New England and man they are so good but hard to find now in Kansas.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Did she use real maple syrup?? I love maple sugar candy treats - grew up in New England and man they are so good but hard to find now in Kansas.
Bless her heart she used tree sap from their maple grove that Grandpa gathered. I don't know if she did it right or wrong but she loved them. I remember that she pressed them into little molds and they looked kind of like flowers or stars. They were rather gritty and REALLY maple-y. I'm not a huge fan of maple. A dab of syrup on French toast of waffles once every couple of years is enough for me.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Fox

Circus peanuts--I didn't have a dog so I choked them down myself. I did however make some interesting "drinks" with circus peanuts...I couldn't drink them but one brother did. Sometimes I just dunked them in water and sucked on them. Those orange slices, I ate them, but the coarse sugar would tear up the roof of my mouth! I guess I was a Beeman's Gum girl, Juicy Fruit, Chicklets and of course Bazooka BGum for the comics girl. Great. Now I'm hungry!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fox
Circus peanuts--I didn't have a dog so I choked them down myself. I did however make some interesting "drinks" with circus peanuts...I couldn't drink them but one brother did. Sometimes I just dunked them in water and sucked on them. Those orange slices, I ate them, but the coarse sugar would tear up the roof of my mouth! I guess I was a Beeman's Gum girl, Juicy Fruit, Chicklets and of course Bazooka BGum for the comics girl. Great. Now I'm hungry!
Talking about circus peanuts could kill my appetite. I still think those things were thought up by some wicked witch somewhere. And I think she boiled her socks to make them. I wouldn't even accept free fabric if it had them printed on it.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Fox

Not even printed on fabric? Yuk! I hope they never do that.