Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Bleed on Auction Quilt >

Fabric Bleed on Auction Quilt

Fabric Bleed on Auction Quilt

Old 06-28-2018, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

For next time - - -

I used to "just wash" my fabrics - but after I had a bleed when using a sizing/starch - I have started soaking the fabrics i(even whites and pastels!!!!)

n hot tap water for at least two hours before washing them. I use kettles, buckets, or a sink. I like to be able to see what is going on.

I sort by color - so if one of the fabric releases some dye, it won't be a big issue - more dark green on a dark green is not as big of a deal as dark green on white!

If one of these fabrics is turning the water an intense color, I isolate it and rinse it some more.

If it won't quit bleeding/releasing color - I consider it defective and will try to return it to the store. Which is a good reason to save receipts and wash the fabrics fairlyl soon after bringing them home.

I bought a batch of bad black fabric and did not get around to washing it until years after buying it. So sad, too bad, the seller told me.

Anyway, good luck with your stain removal. I think that the above methods will work.

I would still bring the quilt for the auction - sometimes a quilt that is already "broken in" will become the most loved quilt in a home.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-28-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:59 AM

I'm sure your bleeding prob can and will be resolved with all the info here.

what really erks me is the fact that the cost of cotton fabric has skyrocketed yet we as the consumer have to take so many precautionary steps after purchase to make sure whatever it is we are planning to make doesn't become a faded mess! And there doesn't seem to be a resolution this....it just gets worse and worse......wonder if yarns are doing the same bleeding.......
Old 06-28-2018, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Definitely try Vicki's method that Peckish linked to. Has worked for me and many show quilters too! The key is lots and lots of water to dispurse and dilute the dye particles. If you have a low water usage washing machine that may have contributed to your initial bleed as the excess dye was able to settle on the other fabrics. It just shows the most on the white. Even if you can't get the bleed out, you should follow the advice of Jane Quilter.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:00 AM

****Update****

Thanks for all of your sympathy and advice. I appreciate it so much.

I used the Dawn method and I now have a stain-free quilt! I'm beyond happy!

True confession: While it was soaking, I did start a new quilt top and sent an urgent text to my LA. However, now that crisis has been averted, I'll be finishing the new quilt top at a later date.

Geri B - I agree that it seems we have to do more and more to avoid this problem. What is going on?

Again, thanks everyone!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the update that the Dawn worked. I'll definitely remember that
Old 06-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

Glad to know the Dawn worked!

Regarding dyes bleeding these days, some of that is due to regulations regarding the chemicals that can be used. Some of the older chemicals were very harmful to workers' health and to the environment and have been banned in the U.S. However, some of the chemicals no longer used in fabric dyes were also responsible for early deterioration of fabric. So, there are advantages and disadvantages to the chemicals used in today's fabrics. I, for one, am willing to trade some additional bleeding for a better environment and better health for workers. Plus, the extra bleeding is manageable simply by using Synthrapol or Dawn and sufficient water to dilute the dye bleeds.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:04 AM

What Prism said!
Old 06-29-2018, 06:06 PM

So happy to hear your success with the bleeding quilt.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:33 AM

Me, too! I apologize for getting "on the soap box" with this -- this happened to me on my first bed-sized quilt -- but I found out about the bleeding BEFORE I cut my borders, and the product I used is a safety procedure I go through more for my own peace of mind. I'm not selling it -- I'm not selling anything. I just know it works, but it won't work AFTER you cut and assemble your quilt! I do pre-wash everything because of asthma, but I also check out the colors -- it's a lot easier to prevent (at least for me) than it is to clean up a bleeding quilt. Physically, I can't handle the bath tub so if I have any doubts, I pre-treat! I'm very, very happy that the bleeding came out!