Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric bleeding... >

Fabric bleeding...

Fabric bleeding...

Old 08-06-2010, 08:53 AM

Retayne really does stop fabric from further bleeding . . .I've used it many times on very tricky dark dyed fabric with success. However, be aware it contains formaldehyde . . .not generally a problem as most fabrics are treated with it anyway. . .but as happened to another poster recently, allergies can develop following extensive exposure.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Kas

Just make a red all over quilt. Or red and black. Use some other color where the red bleeding won't be noticed.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM

I just bought Retayne yesterday to wash some batik's I bought at Joann's. I hope this works!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Retayne. Many quilt stores carry it (call first), and it's widely available online at Amazon, Dharma Trading, ProChem, etc.

There are two types of bleeding. One is from excess dye in the fabric. Fabric can absorb only so much dye and, if the manufacturer has not rinsed sufficiently, the excess will bleed out in the first washing.

When fabric doesn't stop bleeding, it means that the dye was not set properly. Retayne takes care of that (for most dyes, anyway) and sets any unset dye. Still, with a bleeder fabric like this, I would check after using Retayne and make sure that all the bleeding has stopped.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Contact Dharma Trading Company. They specialize in dying fabrics and have several different chemical "solutions" for this problem depending on what you are actually needing.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/index.html

You can call and talk to someone or look through their on-line selection. I prefer the person to person approach myself.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies! I think this is a fabric that won't be used in any quilt of mine... just don't want to take the chance..
Too bad, wished I had known about it as I wouldn't have bought it... we shouldn't have to go through added expense and aggravation to use a "not cheap" fabric...
Old 08-06-2010, 12:52 PM

I would contact your seller and let them know about the problems that you are having so they can notify their supplier and then take it back to them for a refund. I definitely would not use it in a project. I had a black that did the same thing even after 7 washings!!

Oh by the way, I'm going to a Gees Bend quilt show next week!! Definitely won't be buying their fabric ;) - I noticed that Pottery Barn has the rights and is selling quilts in BG designs.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rntraveler
I bought some "Gee's Bend" fabric that is burgendy red. I have washed this stuff several times and dried it in the dryer... it won't stop bleeding.

I can't use it for any project like it is.. any suggestions on how to set the color or stop it from bleeding?

Thanks!
My LQS told me to press my fabric before I washed it to set the dye. You can use a dry or steam iron. I still used the color catchers when I wash my fabric. I had some maroon that did the same thing and salt also helps set the dye
Old 08-07-2010, 04:32 AM

Well, I tried the salt thing, didn't work, hot water, cold water, heat from a dryer, nothing has worked but the trash can...

Not going to waste my time.... good excuse to go shopping for more.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply..
Old 08-07-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rntraveler
I bought some "Gee's Bend" fabric that is burgendy red. I have washed this stuff several times and dried it in the dryer... it won't stop bleeding.

I can't use it for any project like it is.. any suggestions on how to set the color or stop it from bleeding?

Thanks!
When I have fabrics I'm concerned might bleed, I use Retayne. Years ago when I was making sweatshirt jackets for people, I used either salt or vinegar to retard the bleeding. However, I ran into a problem with some fabric I had treated. The client was very unhappy because it did bleed (red into white fabric), so I had to make her up another jacket at no charge because she didn't notice the bleed and tossed the jacket in the dryer. After this happened another time, I gave up and began using Retayne. Now I Retayne any fabric I use with strong colors... especially red.