Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric bleeding... >

Fabric bleeding...

Fabric bleeding...

Old 08-07-2010, 05:45 AM

Does the Retayne completely stop the bleed or do you have to still watch how it's laundered? Thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 05:47 AM

I honestly think I would forget it and go for another fabric. If it's a bleeder, you're taking a chance that it will come back even with the treatments.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:22 AM

HOW DO YOU TEST FOR BLEEDING?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 AM

I've had this problem before with some red fabric too. I used Retayne and a color catcher. Had to wash it three times before it stopped bleeding.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rntraveler
Does the Retayne completely stop the bleed or do you have to still watch how it's laundered? Thanks
It's a good idea to test the fabric after using Retayne. Drop a small swatch into water and let it sit for several hours; there should be no transfer of dye into the water. After that, rub the damp swatch against a light fabric you might use in the quilt to see if any dye transfers from rubbing. It's rare, but there is an occasional fabric whose dye may not be completely set by Retayne. At that point you can either Retayne it again and test again, or just use the fabric for something else.

Retayne would not affect the way the fabric is washed later. If dye is unset, the dye might bleed more in hot water than in cold water. However, if Retayne has succeeded in setting the dye permanently, it should not bleed under any conditions (just like fabric that comes from the store and does not bleed).

IMO, it's still a good idea to use Synthrapol the first time a quilt is washed. Synthrapol does not set dye; it suspends unset dye particles in water so they do not settle into other fabrics. Some people use both Synthrapol and several color catchers.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by Rntraveler
It's a good idea to test the fabric after using Retayne. Drop a small swatch into water and let it sit for several hours; there should be no transfer of dye into the water. After that, rub the damp swatch against a light fabric you might use in the quilt to see if any dye transfers from rubbing. It's rare, but there is an occasional fabric whose dye may not be completely set by Retayne. At that point you can either Retayne it again and test again, or just use the fabric for something else.

Retayne would not affect the way the fabric is washed later. If dye is unset, the dye might bleed more in hot water than in cold water. However, if Retayne has succeeded in setting the dye permanently, it should not bleed under any conditions (just like fabric that comes from the store and does not bleed).

IMO, it's still a good idea to use Synthrapol the first time a quilt is washed. Synthrapol does not set dye; it suspends unset dye particles in water so they do not settle into other fabrics. Some people use both Synthrapol and several color catchers.
You gave this info:

My comment : PLEASE Note the manufacture of Retayne indicates that all fabrics treated must be washed every time in COLD water after treatment with Retayne.
I have had very good results using 2 teaspoons Retayne per yard with really dark or highly saturated colors. ( Manufacture says to use 1 teaspoon per yard of fabric.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cbridges22
HOW DO YOU TEST FOR BLEEDING?
To test place fabric ( can be just a scrap) in lukewarm water for at least 1 hour. If it is just a scrap I use a glass ( clear). Then look at the water in the glass holding a sheet of white paper behind it . See if there is a color change.
If you a using yardage fill the sink and check if the water color has changed.
You can also fully saturate the fabric in Lukewarm water and place on a white towel. Do roll it up and squeeze , check the towel for color.
You can alos take a scrap and use a scarp of white batting ( cotton .
The key is to get the fabric FULLY saturated with water. There is so much finishes on fabric that it takes lukewarm water and at least 20 mimutes to get all of the fibers saturated.
I soak for an hour just to be safe and swish it around several times Most you will see the color in the water before any further testing needs to be done.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:18 PM

I wonder how you can play with this fabric to create some other fabric with cool effects???? Where did you get it? I'd like to experiment...
Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 PM

I've seen where several people have suggested using vinegar. This works for me, but the one thing they didn't mention is to also use salt. It's the combo of vinegar and slat that sets the dye, not just vinegar alone. That's the least expensive way versus buying all the expensive alternatives.

Also, if you use this method, be sure to test it to make sure. Don't just take my word for it.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

Salt in the water usually helps.