Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric for Bookshelf Quilt >

Fabric for Bookshelf Quilt

Fabric for Bookshelf Quilt

Old 11-04-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I made a bookshelf Wallhanging. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t221363.html

I used batiks for the spines of the books. I googled for images of the books and printed the names on fabric. The recipient loved it!
This is a great idea and I'm definitely looking into it. I saw a few "print on fabric" packages, but they say not to wash the fabric after you've printed on it. Have you used these before? Have you found that to be true?

Thank you!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:41 AM

I finished the quilt! I used batiks (jelly rolls) as suggested, and I used spoonflower to print book spines! i'll post a pic shortly. I was wondering about washing it. I pre-washed the first jelly roll (by hand), the second jelly roll (in a lingerie bag in the washer) and did not wash the third jelly roll.

Pre-washing jelly rolls.... oh man. There's a reason people discourage it.

Anyway! So I have all of these bright batik "books" with a (of course) white background. I"m worried about the color bleeding. I have a box of those color catchers, but i'm still terrified of all of my work becoming a mess! My aunt suggested having it dry cleaned, but I love the feel of a freshly washed/dried quilt.

Should I just cross my fingers, throw a few color catchers in the washer and hope it all comes out okay? When I washed the jelly rolls by hand, a lot of color came out in the water.

Thank you!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 AM

I would google 'word fabrics, click on 'images', and then click on the individual images to see if those fabrics are currently available.