Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric choice >

Fabric choice

Fabric choice

Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM

I have always been interested in decorating and design and choosing quilt fabrics came easy to me I think because of that. One thing I remembered from decorating books was how to mix patterns and that applies just as well to quilts. a quilt with one bold print and all the rest solids or tone on tones can be boring. On the other hand, two or more bold or big prints in a quilt can fight each other and not play well together. But a large bold print, a small floral, a plaid or stripe in the same colors, as well as a couple tone on tones or solids can blend beautifully. And contrast is important too. All darks would be a little dreary, and all lights kinda fades away. You may not want a wide contrast going from very light to very dark, but having some is important. Even in a pastel quilt, having some medium tones to add to the lights makes a much more interesting and striking quilt. And I read something once about using one color in scrappy quilts, which I love to do - vary the tones of that color on both sides of the color wheel. For instance, if making a scrappy blue quilt, add blues that have a purple tint and blues that have a green tint as well as true blues. Since I started doing that, my scrappy quilts have become a lot more vibrant.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 AM

One thing I learned on my first quilt (over 20 yrs. ago and still not quilted) was a sampler quilt taught in a woman's basement to all new quilters.....Make sure whatever you choose that you have "light, medium, and darks". (This quilt just "sits" there and just sits there".

Also when you're choosing, lay it out on the cutting table and "stand back", squint your eyes and you'll notice right away which fabric will POP and which will fade into the quilt.

Never fear....some day it will be easier to choose.

Good Luck!!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM

I still have that problem and I am on my fourth year as a quilter. I by kits and when I have to use a pattern to make a quilt for someone special I go to a trusted LQS to help. Make sure you pick a shop that listens to what you want and try to pick fabrics in your tastes and not their own.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

It's okay to listen to the LQS ladies and get their advice - but it is also OKAY to disagree with their choices.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM

myself I hate to say I get so over whelm I cant decide what I want but some how I do mangae to come home with plenty lol
Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Yes, it will get easier. Try making a quilt out of fabric that is "not you". I made a very bright coloured baby quilt for my niece and practically had to wear blinders while I sewed it! She loved it and it cured me of the "I'm only going to use my favourite coulours blues". I'm still not very adventuresome when choosing fabrics but I'm way better than iI used to be. Keep at it!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Penny Halpren has written a bunch of things on fabric, selecting fabric, combining fabrics, color, and a lot of other quilting topics. I find her explanations simple and thorough. Check out her site and look through her archives. I'm sure you'll find some things that are helpful to you. She even offers some free patterns.
http://how-to-quilt.com/articles/901...ge-binding.php
Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
dsj

I tend to be pretty conservative and not stepping out of the box with color but I have to say the fabrics that you think are the worst choice can actually be the one to make it stand out the best. I know several quilters that only put together fabrics that have the same colors in them and not caring a bit about the pattern of the fabrics, only color and their quilts are gorgeous. I am just a chicken.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:19 AM

Yes, as you get more experienced, you will start to trust your gut instincts. lol. Atleast, that is what I keep telling myself.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

It gets easier as you go. You will still have your own taste in fabrics and that's OK