Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric cutting machines...?

Blog Entries

Fabric cutting machines...?

... if you were on a very strict budget and only wanted a machine to cut straight narrow strips for binding & sashing, etc. which is a good choice? Arthritis is making rotary cutting painful and I'm not as accurate as I'd like to be! Don't need all the fancy dies, etc.

Thanks for any help!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Someone said the Fiskar one is coming back later this year.

Some stores have where you can go and cut for free if you buy the fabric from them.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried the June Tailor Shape Cut mat for cutting strips? That is my favorite. There are several different ones. This is the one I use the most:
    http://www.amazon.com/June-Tailor-Sh...dp/B000YZ7SJM/
    It has slots every half inch.

The Fiskars cutter Karen mentioned was discontinued but is supposed to come back. It is similar to the one in this link except twice as long:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-12-Inc...dp/B001CE38Z2/
    Last edited by Prism99; 06-04-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks ladies; the only thing with those is that they require manual cutting with a rotary cutter. And I do quite well with a ruler. I've decided to try the Simplicity. Having read reviews it seems that if you watch the video and read the instructions it will do the job. Well, we shall see!
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I didn't like the Simplicity. It didn't work well for me and I returned it :-/
    ~Laura

Blog Entries
    And that may happen to me, too!

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Oh, no! The Simplicity cutter has gotten terrible reviews here. It is okay if you need strips for hooking rugs, for example, but it does not have enough accuracy for quilting.

You might want to look at the Accuquilt Go Baby! die cutter. Many of us have the Go! version, some lucky quilters can afford the space and $$$ for a studio version; the Baby is for those on a budget. You would need the Go! Baby cutter plus the dies that are in the widths you want. Here is a link to the Go! Baby cutter on the Accuquilt site:
    http://www.accuquilt.com/fabric-cutt...rter-sets.html

Be aware that what you want is often on sale for less at the website, at JoAnn's, on eBay, and other sources as well. It is worthwhile to shop around before purchasing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Oh, no! The Simplicity cutter has gotten terrible reviews here. It is okay if you need strips for hooking rugs, for example, but it does not have enough accuracy for quilting.

You might want to look at the Accuquilt Go Baby! die cutter. Many of us have the Go! version, some lucky quilters can afford the space and $$$ for a studio version; the Baby is for those on a budget. You would need the Go! Baby cutter plus the dies that are in the widths you want. Here is a link to the Go! Baby cutter on the Accuquilt site:
    http://www.accuquilt.com/fabric-cutt...rter-sets.html

Be aware that what you want is often on sale for less at the website, at JoAnn's, on eBay, and other sources as well. It is worthwhile to shop around before purchasing.
    Thanks Prism, but anything over $50 is way over my head - and my needs. I did read the reviews and some counter-opinions. If I can't make it work, it'll go back! Thanks for caring!

Kitsie

I did not like the Simplicity and returned it (very wonky results). I have a BIG SHOT (from my scrapbooking days) - much cheaper than the Accuquilt system and there are some inexpensive dies for cutting fabric strips. But I haven't purchased them yet! That's because I LOVE LOVE LOVE the June Tailor Shape Cut Plus ruler for doing strips - PERFECT every time. Very fast & easy & like I said, very accurate.
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

Not sure if you are close to Olympia, but the a quilt store here lets you use a accu quilt at the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaS View Post
    Not sure if you are close to Olympia, but the a quilt store here lets you use a accu quilt at the shop.
    TeresaS - which quilt shop? I get to Olympia/Lacey area about once a month or so (haven't visited any quilt shops, but would love to!).
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

The machines I've seen slip. I have the Shape Cut Plus by June Tailor and I use the Martelli ergonomic cutter and no sore wrists or fingers any more.

I agree with the members that are saying the june tailor shape cut ruler, I have the shape cut plus and it makes cutting all my pieces so much easier. Even if you want to cut the strips down into rectangles, squares etc.........june tailor shape cut plus is awesome.......I paid $25 for mine on amazon.

I bought the Simplicity and returned it as well. It cuts wavy strips. No way to slow it down.

Blog Entries
    What do you guys do to stop your June Tailor from slipping? Have used it, too and love it but was trying to avoid "manual" cutting.

Kitsie

You can put different things on the back of rulers to help them not slip. I usually use the little sand paper dots on the back of my rulers. I have the June Taylor ruler too, and I love it. I have arthritis too, and it helps me not get so tired. I am going to try the Martelli ruler, too.
    The June Taylor ruler is pricey, but shop around or use a coupon. It is so worth it. Just zip, zip, zip, and your done. Hope this helps you. Gina

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I bought the Simplicity cutter and was so disappointed. It wouldn't cut the fabric. It was a joke. I took it right back and got my money back. Don't even waste your time. I promise you won't like it. Save up for the Go Baby. I don't have a cutting machine because I think I wouldn't be able to afford all the dies and mats I'd want. So I just use the June Taylor ruler and my other rulers. But don't waste your time on the Simplicity. Really!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I use the June Tailor Shape cutter all the time. I have added little dots of "sandpaper" on mine to help prevent slipping. I use an Ergonomic cutter, the Martelli cutter ( I have bad shoulders/ 3 surgeries) also, it helps to keep one finger, such as your pinkie off of the ruler and on the mat to help stabilize it. As I cut further down the mat, I place my hand near the line I am cutting. Keep your cutter up right, don't lean to left or right, that caused you to move the mat ant your cutting line.
    Try an ergonomic cutter, that might be easier for you to use

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    I have used a variety of things on the backs of rulers, including the June Tailor Shape Cut, to prevent slipping. The best by far that I have found are the "Grip Strips" from http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/GripStrips.html . They are inexpensive, easy to apply, and they work! The worst thing I can say is that the website is confusing. The grip strips, though, are wonderful. I am putting them on all of my rulers.

I currently have two grip strips on my June Tailor Shape Cut but plan to experiment with adding 2 more (and maybe even one in the middle) as my attention seems to "slip" occasionally when cutting. I agree with keeping at least one finger off the mat while holding in place.

Check out The Big Little Book of Fabric Die Cutting Tips. It's written by Ebony Love and is just as clear and logical as her many YouTube videos are. In fact look up some of them. One section of this book is devoted to presenting the features of the main choices for fabric die cutting machines. It's a wonderful reference for this tool.
    Pat

I, too recommend Gripstrips! they are so nice and really work- better than any other method I've tried.
    jillnjo

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all of you! Looks like I may just refuse to receive the package and stick with my Shape Cutter, too!! A good way I've found to prevent slippage on other rulers is a dab of hot glue. Guess I could put some down the middle columns of the ruler, too! Mine ruler is cracked in the bottom of the 1" slot, but with a Fab Dep coupon ...? Or just add more tape!

Teresa, I live 14 miles north of Vancouver so make trips to Fabric Depot a couple of times a year!

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Certainly will have to try them!

Quote Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
    I, too recommend Gripstrips! they are so nice and really work- better than any other method I've tried.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I have an Accuquilt Go and love it. I found it on Craigslist and paid half of what it was worth. She had received it as a gift and well what ever. It was still in the box.

With it I got a rag square die 8 1/2 inch. I will NEVER use that after 25 years in the rag rug business I never want to see another rag anything. I would love to trade that die for something I don't have.

Also.......on Craigslist in South Bend Indiana there was a Bernina 730 embroidery machine for $780.00. That is a total steal, but when I offered him $750 he said he was in FLORIDA and the shipping would be free. I smelled something funny and backed out. Is there someone in Florida who is missing a Bernina 730 embroidery???? They are 2400-3500 on Ebay. He never said it worked, only that it had 2 hours on the bed. I dropped it but am curious.

Marcia

Blog Entries
    The Go Baby would be the best option for you. There are dies up to 3 1/2" wide strips. I see the Go on sale many times for $70. There are several discount sites to order the strip dies. The Go Baby is about the cost of two jelly rolls so it's a great bargain.
    Got fabric?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast