Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fabric cutting machines

fabric cutting machines

Do any of you have the fabric cutting machines out there" and if so " do you feel they are worth the investment? I have been looking at some of them and really like the idea of using one for applique peices but at the same time the prices of the dies seem crazzy to me. any opinions?
    http://ncfabricjunkie.blogspot.com

crazy prices
    ​debra

Blog Entries
    I have the Go and I would give up my rotary cutter before giving up the Go. I use it to cut all my quilt blocks. Considering many of my dies are about 7 years old and still cut like new, they are worth what I paid for them.
    Got fabric?

I have the go and the studio cutters, love them!!!

I refuse to pay such exorbitant prices hahahahahh....I will just continue to use my rotary cutter until those price come down.

Blog Entries
    I paid about $375 for my Go and full price for the first dies. I don't regret buying it at all. I think the prices are very reasonable now, even the Studio model has a low price. But I do think my Go, one of the first ones made, is heavier then the ones made now and I think the handle is much sturdier. I can tell a difference when using one of the newer ones. I know the first dies are better then the dies I buy now. Low price isn't always better.
    Got fabric?

I've been reading reviews, viewing videos, and discussing the Accuquilt GO pros and cons for the last few days. Guess DH got tired of my indecision about whether to get one or not. He just informed me that he went ahead and ordered one today and it's coming Monday.

I guess he'll do anything to shut me up ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

They aren't cheap. but they do cut nice and accurate, and if you have the room and money to invest in it. I want the sizzix big shot pro because you can use the accuquilt dies, but it is a large machine that needs a dedicated space which I don't have yet. I have the smaller big shot and it is nice but limiting
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

It's a NO GO for me. Too expensive especially when you figure in each die you might want.

I prefer my Alto's QuiltCut2. Yes, it only does straight or angled cuts, but it is affordable, easily stored, and isn't hard to work. Watch the video and the learning curve is quite short.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

For me, the cost of the fabric cutting machines and the dies just too expensive for me. I was watching a demo of one of the Accuquilt machines. They were showing how to cut for a log cabin. I watched as the lady took two rulers to cut the fabric just to put it into the machine to cut it. I thought how much faster my June Tailor Shape Cut could cut those strips for the log cabin. Also, they have squares dies, triangle dies,etc. But when I make HST I use the Wonder Ruler to make quick triangles. And I usually make strip sets to make my quilts. Just my opinion. Many people love their Accuquilts, it's just not for me.

I gave my Alto QuiltCut away, it was a drag (for me) to store, pull out, and use. i could do all that with a regular mat, ruler, and cutter. There was no real benefit to me. The mat eventually detached from the board, as did the feet.

Don't know how happy I'll be with the Accuquilt GO either, that's why I hesitated to buy it. DH made the decision mute, by purchasing it for me. What am I going to say? No? Didn't have the chance ;-)

Blog Entries
    I have the Big Shot Pro. I love it. I sold my accuquilt go and bought this-I wasn't happy with the Go at all.

Look at the go dies and decide which ones you would want and if it would be financially worth getting it. I love mine and I currently have just 2 dies. I plan to get the rag die, log cabin and drunkards path.

If you want to cut applique shapes you should check out the Silhouette Cameo. It is a machine for scrapbooking, but can also cut fabric that is backed with Heat and Bond Lite. There are no dies - all of the designs are digital. If you have a machine embroidery design, you can even import it. Here is a great post about it.
    http://terrijohnsoncreates.com/2012/...lique-designs/

Blog Entries
    For me, the big plus is cutting patches & strips for piecing accurately. The price of dies is high, but I will use a triangle die for dozens of quilts and cut hundreds, if not thousands of accurate pieces. A curved patch (apple core, winding ways, drunkard's path etc.) is a snap to cut and will actually fit when you piece it. Again, these are dies that I will use for lots of quilts, so if I average the cost of the die over the times I will use it, the cost/quilt really comes down. I'm not a good cutter with just a ruler so an added benefit is I rip a lot less if I start with something that's cut correctly.
    If you are thinking about getting applique shapes, you really have to look at how many cuts per shape you are going to do to decide if it's going to pay off. If you were going to do an applique vine border, cutting a hundred leaf shapes would merit buying a die, but cutting 10 flowers may not, although you can get really good sales on dies.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

precuts and cutter machines are both a mystery to me. But we come from many different financial stratas so it makes sense some will and some won't

I love every part of making quilts, from prewash to binding to sleeping under.

lol, I meant moot, not mute ;-)

I guess when you think about it, that's what I'll be doing. Turning my scraps into pre-cuts. I want lots and lots of triangles at my disposal ;-)

Maybe he is trying to leave you speechless
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I've been reading reviews, viewing videos, and discussing the Accuquilt GO pros and cons for the last few days. Guess DH got tired of my indecision about whether to get one or not. He just informed me that he went ahead and ordered one today and it's coming Monday.

I guess he'll do anything to shut me up ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I guess when you think about it, that's what I'll be doing. Turning my scraps into pre-cuts. I want lots and lots of triangles at my disposal ;-)
    so let us know how much fun you are having once your GO arrives and you dig in........

I have one with many dies and since then have done many "kit" type packs that work well when going to sewing retreats......or just want to sew something - not to mention giving scraps a "purpose"

I personally don't think you will be disappointed in the purchase........enjoy the journey.........and just imagine the fun our ansisters would have had w/it along with the "new fangled" sewing machine.......

lol, i will, and I'll try not to be a pest about it ;-)

I really like my Accucut machine (not the 2GO) and had first purchased it for scrapbooking/card making. It has been the BEST investment. Love the 2-1/2 inch die as well as the hexagon and apple core dies.

I have wavered back and forth about getting the Go and yesterday I ordered one. I should get it today. I sure hope I don't have buyer's remorse. I got the hex die with it. Maybe now I can get on with my GFG I have been wanting to make for years. I love gadgets.

I've got a sizzix. It is very good and not as expensive as the others. The dies are reasonably priced.

I have the Go also. The only thing I dislike about it is that it limits the size of the blocks to 8 inches, nothing (I've found yet) bigger. Of course, the dies are very expensive. It does make more accurate blocks for me.
    Cathy S/Willowwind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast