Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric cutting machines >

fabric cutting machines

fabric cutting machines

Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 AM

I have a Go Baby and love it for cutting triangles and other shapes that are not rectangles or squares. I have trouble cutting accurate sizes with the square and rectangle dies, so I gave up on those. The dies would cut a piece of paper accurately then when I used fabric it would distort the sizes--enough distortion that I couldn't piece the pieces accurately. I was using different weights of fabric in my quilts--all 100% cotton but different weights and thread sizes. As I mostly do scrappy quilts with fabric a friend gives me, I found that with the assortment of fabrics that I use I couldn't cut the fabric accurately.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by willowwind View Post
I have the Go also. The only thing I dislike about it is that it limits the size of the blocks to 8 inches, nothing (I've found yet) bigger. Of course, the dies are very expensive. It does make more accurate blocks for me.
That's one of the reasons i went to the Big Shot instead. It can hold 12" dies. The other reason was that the Go was not easy for me to crank. The Big Shot is super easy and smooth.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by rosyhf View Post
i refuse to pay such exorbitant prices hahahahahh....i will just continue to use my rotary cutter until those price come down.
me too!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:07 PM

I have the Studio cutter (the big sister to the AccuQuilt GO) and love it. I highly recommend watching Ebony Love's videos on YouTube for it. She has a lot of great tips for those just starting to use the cutter. I'm not affiliated with her in any way, just in case you are wondering.

Just try to remember when using it that you will get very little stretch in the cutting if you cut pieces using the lengthwise grain. If you want more clarification on the, PM me and I'll help you out.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:50 PM

I guess he'll do anything to shut me up ;-)

DebraK..That is too funny!!! Way to go...
Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 PM

I have enjoyed my Accuquilt Go tremendously. I have bought the dies on sale and have been getting one every few weeks or so. If fact, today I received two dies in the mail. The circles and the hearts. I am really having fun with this machine and really am happy I have it.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 PM

check out this thread

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/love-accuquilt-go-t218739.html
Old 04-14-2013, 02:58 AM

I have not yet seen a cutter in action so I guess I haven't known what I've been missing. I need to attend a quilt show someday and scope it out. I'll also check out the YouTube suggested to see what I might be missing out on...

so all I know is a rotary cutter... which is much better than the scissors I still own from Home Economics 30 years ago!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM

If you only need to cut applique pieces, I think the GoBaby would work. I just completed an applique quilt that I started in 2007 and if I didn't have my Go! and some of the flower dies it wouldn't be finished now. I was sooooo tired of cutting tiny, teeny pieces. I wasn't even good at paper dolls.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 AM

I got the GO! for Christmas last year. I picked up the charm die and a few others came with the bundle my husband purchased. Personally I love it. It cuts my fabric cutting time down, it always gives precise cuts, and I can't wait to use it for applique.

I think if you do a lot of applique quilts, it would be a fabulous investment, but if you work with precuts or quilts that require a lot of different templates per quilt (like paper piecing) then it's probably not worth it. For me, it was worth it just to get the 2.5" binding die, I hate cutting binding. lol