Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric dregs >

fabric dregs

fabric dregs

Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM

Now that I have become a quilter I agree, don't do me any favors, I have enough of my own scraps and fabric waiting to shine in a quilt project. However, before I started quilting I was at a Goodwill liquidation center (Goodwill's un-solded items sold by the pound) and for 3$ each picked up two boxes of 100 fat quarters. A quilt shop went out of business and donated some of their inventory. I just could not justify leaving them to be recycled and thought I would donate them to a quilting group.

Well, on my way home I stopped at Walmart and as I was walking by saw a lady putting her groceries in her trunk and notice a beautiful quilt and told her so. I than asked her if she knew of a quilting guild or anyone that would love some fat quarter fabric. She said she would love some as she and her friends make quilts for charity and it's getting harder to continue as they are now on a fixed incomes. I told her what I had and offered them to her and her friends to continue with their charity work. She wanted to pay me but I refused. When she insisted i told her I would take 5 of the fat quarters as payment. I loaded up the boxes in her trunk and she had to leave to pickup her great-grand son.

I have always believe things happen for a reason. Two days later i went to the same Walmart to purchase fabric to re-cover my lawn chair cushions and who was the worker that came to cut my fabric, my now quilt mentor Cathy. So, if you can't use the unwanted gift of fabric, smile and say thank you. Then re-gift - this is an acceptable reason for re-gifting and you may even gain a friend or two, Lol.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am talking about things like the cut off pieces from shortening a pair of pants, worn out fiberglass curtains, a worn out flannel sheet that is thin and pilled, a warped blanket ( suposeely for batting), fabric that was stored in mothballs, used faded clothing, etc.
That stuff goes in my kindling pile! Really. We use a wood stove, and my husband says my thin strips leftover from cuttin gout 2.5" or 2" strips or blocks makes great fire starter. Some things just need to be burned/thrown away.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:44 AM

I've only ever had one friend offer me fabric. It was lovely. She'd planned to use it an old house, but moved before she ever got the chance. I used one coordinating solid fabric and made her a simple churn dash lap quilt as a thank you. Every time I go to her house, it's right in her main room, on display. I smile inside every time I see it.

Oh, and I probably had about 4 yards leftover after making her quilt!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:09 AM

There are church quilt groups etc., that love to receive fabric scraps. I'd have no problem donating fabric I didn't need.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:18 AM

I love to either find treasures at garage sales or be gifted scraps. Until recently I just couldn't let go of the poor quality or thin pieces. Finally just decided I had more than enough fabric to last my life time and it was just better to let go. Kept a few pieces for FM practice but the rest are gone with only a little twinge of guilt.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:44 AM

I decided that I have enough fabric and patterns to last for the rest of my life [age 67]. So when I had good leftover fabric
I called my town's city hall to get the number of the Senior Center and they were delighted to get it for their quilting
group. It made me feel good and a little less burdened by the crush of fabric clamoring to be made into quilts..
Old 02-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I appreciate free fabric very much as I make donation quilts. If the fabric is not right for the donation quilts I make I pass it on.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:12 AM

I agree 100%. I know what I like to quilt with and use. If it doesn't fit the bill, I don't bother to keep it and donate it immediately to our community quilts or put it on the free table at Guild if it isn't usable in a quilt. I have put all sorts of craft items on the table and someone always seems to want it.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am talking about things like the cut off pieces from shortening a pair of pants, worn out fiberglass curtains, a worn out flannel sheet that is thin and pilled, a warped blanket ( suposeely for batting), fabric that was stored in mothballs, used faded clothing, etc.

Good Lord! I can't imagine anyone believing that such fabric would be useful. That kind of "gift" comes close to being insulting, I think, or maybe just a lack of comprehension of what sewers and quilters do. I'd have no problems throwing away something that should have been thrown away by the "givers".
Old 02-28-2015, 08:30 AM

Please donate it too goodwill! I am always on the prowl for fabrics there. I am that person who will often buy those UFO's and complete them. My only prerequisite is I have to like the fabrics to begin with. I love making something for next to nothing!