Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric fading >

Fabric fading

Fabric fading

Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Also, use a machine with a large water capacity. The newer front loaders don't have enough water to wash away any furtive dye.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:49 AM

I've used this Retayne/Synthropol combo successfully on fabrics and clothing that bled (https://www.dharmatrading.com/chemicals/retayne.html), but that was on something that was all one color, so it wasn't a problem fixing any loose dye with the Retayne, because it was fixed to something the same color.

Since your quilt is all put together (and therefore NOT all one color), I think you might want to just use the Synthropol.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
About Kona fabric. Kona is a trademarked name of Robert Kaufmann Fabrics for a specific type of fabric. Kaufmann Kona is what most quilters are looking for. However, there is a different fabric manufacturer that has the name "Kona Bay". Sometimes buyers see "Kona" on the bolt end and don't realize this indicates the fabric is manufactured by Kona Bay. Fabric manufactured by Kona Bay is not the same as Kaufmann Kona.
It was Kona, not Kona bay.

bkay
Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM

There are instructions on-line and I think it has been discussed here, a method for soaking quilts using Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove running or excess dye. I'm sure someone here can do a search for you, I'm not so good at that myself.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:22 PM

I Think I would stop washing and provide several (maybe a whole box) of color catchers with instructions to the recipient.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
It was Kona, not Kona bay.

bkay
Kona Bay is getting hard to find since they are now out of business.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Email Kona for advice.

I think they are having some quality problems. Over the last few months I've gotten three totally different fabrics for Kona black. The texture and color was different in all three. I mailed one off to Kona and they said it wasn't Kona. it was labeled Kona on the bolt, though.

bkay
Several years ago I was in a Joannes fabric when they were having a sale on Kona and I personally witnessed them rolling their economy priced broadcloth solid onto a Kona bolt. The employee assumed they were consolidating the same fabric onto a bolt so they didn't have 5 different black solid bolts. Many of the employees at Joannes aren't sewers or quilters and to them a solid is a solid and they don't know or care about the difference. That incident convinced me to never purchase fabric there again.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
There are instructions on-line and I think it has been discussed here, a method for soaking quilts using Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove running or excess dye. I'm sure someone here can do a search for you, I'm not so good at that myself.
This is true. My good friend had a quilting catastrophe and I sent her this link and it did fix the problem.
https://suzyquilts.com/fix-fabric-bleeds/
Old 09-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Almost all fabrics I buy don't bleed. Maybe a few have. I always prewash in cold water and use 4-5 color catchers. I use them until they fall apart. I only wash with cold water Tide.

I don't buy any expensive fabrics, Hobby Lobby and Walmart are good enough for me. I only buy quality fabric I can feel.

So sorry this happened to your Granddaughter's quilt.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:13 AM

That would be my suggestion also. I did this with a king sized Red and White double Irish chain, but I used Synthropal I put my quilt in the bathtub over night, and them it was just fine. Later I heard that Dawn dish soap, clear or blue worked just as well.

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post