Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric flaw! >

Fabric flaw!

Fabric flaw!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM

Stitck your quilt labael over it
Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Unfortunately, the same eyes that will "miss" a flaw during the piecing process, can also miss a flaw at the quilt shop. I think it's even more likely to miss at the Quilt Shop, IMHO. When I hit the Quilt Shop, I end up looking at bolt after bolt of fabric, hauling out my "matching/contrasting" patches, and so on. I don't go that often, so it's usually a big haul day. By the time I get to the cutting station, I've practically got a headache from looking at so many patterns. While I do check out the fabric while it's being cut, it's these tired, fabric-worn eyes doing the checking. I do my best. I have caught flaws. But let's be kind to ourselves as well, and recognize that we are not always in the best "space" to be checking for flaws while at the cutting table. Sometimes I'm rushed and pressured, sometimes I'm running late, sometimes I'm just tired because this is coming at the end of my errand list -- you name it. So don't beat yourselves up. Do your best with the flaws. If you find them when you get home, take the material back if you can. And if you can't, do your best to have fun with the flaw. I once had a long, black, obvious thread in a light blue fabric, and I "fussy cut" it so it looked like a streak of lighting across a 4" block, and everyone who sees it asks me how I managed to put that thread there like that! It's a striking element of design! As my Mother used to say: When life hands you lemons, made lemonade!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 AM

Is there any way you could use a colored sharpie to correct the problem? I have in the past and works great - they come in a rainbow of colors.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 AM

I had that happen recently when I purchased fabric from one of my favorite, high end lqs. They said it was because it was a batik, but no way. Since the fabric was going to be cut and because I had been looking for this color for months, I took it. They wouldn't give me anything off on it and snapped that they didn't buy seconds. Maybe not, but the threads they're using must be. It must be oil or something getting on the thread and when it's woven it comes into the fabric. We just have to be really careful when we purchase fabric.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 AM

Oh that's rotten luck. I had it happen on a quilt recently - there must have been a stray dark thread when the material was woven - but it was clearly an 'extra' so I oh so carefully picked it and tugged it and managed to get it out. when I washed the quilt you couldn't see the place it was. Perhaps you can try that?