Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Folding >

Fabric Folding

Fabric Folding

Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Oh my such great responses THANKS to everyone who has made a suggestion. I will look into the books and other websites also.

Thanks Christina
Old 03-15-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I have two books: Fantastic Fabric Folding, and Fabrigami, that have beautiful stuff in them. I got mine on ebay, but you can find them on Amazon too. Good luck!
both are great books
Old 03-15-2010, 06:30 PM

If you want simple, and don't necessarily have to buy a book, how about a pinwheel quilt, with the pinwheels being folded triangles? Something like prairie points, but you make squares of 2 HST's in the same color, but put your folded triangle in the seam before you sew it. Stitch together into a 4-patch, turning your diagonal seams 1/4 turn every time around the square. That should make a 3-D pinwheel.

Hope I've explained this okay.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
If you want simple, and don't necessarily have to buy a book, how about a pinwheel quilt, with the pinwheels being folded triangles? Something like prairie points, but you make squares of 2 HST's in the same color, but put your folded triangle in the seam before you sew it. Stitch together into a 4-patch, turning your diagonal seams 1/4 turn every time around the square. That should make a 3-D pinwheel.

Hope I've explained this okay.
Neat idea!! :thumbup: Also, if you can use flowers, Elly Sienkiewz has a book on all different flowers for quilts.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 AM

Folded Star was popular several years ago. They are fun to do and make up a nice size for a small wall hanging or a centerpiece for a table.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 AM

In two week, I believe starting on March 29, The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims will have as a guest Rami Kim, who is a folded fabric designer. If you google her name you can go to her blog and web site. Her work is absolutely amazing. I just saw a little preview of her show and is to die for.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 AM

You tube has a tutorial on one seam flying geese that would be considered folding fabric.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Frogquilter
My quild is having their annual challenge and that is to make a project utilizing folded fabric. I am lacking in ideas and prairie points as a border doesn't count. Does anyone have any ideas?
Hi Frogquilter: I made a 3-D Pinwheel Baby Quilt in 2004 - got the free pattern from www.lucyfazely.com/freepat/pinwheels/pinwheels.htm . I just checked the site and the free pattern is still available. Don't know if that would be something you could use for your quilt challenge.

A friend of mine made a child's quilt folding fabric squares into envelope shapes (actually, 2 fabric squares sewn together right sides together then turned right side out and folded to form an evelope . She used a small piece of velcro keep the flap on the envelope closed but it could be opened and "treasures" could be stashed in any of the about 60 "envelopes" used to make the child's quilt. It was made in bright scrap fabrics that was absolutely darling. I looked for the pictures and the instructions but can't find them... my computer crashed back in 2005 and I lost everything that was on the computer as I had failed to back up my files (DUMB, DUMB, DUMB)...I now put everything on CD's and have an external hard drive, as well. This kid's envelope pattern was a free one off some site...I want to say McCalls but just don't remember? Sorry. This block would be a good one for folded pieces challenge. Also good for using up scraps.

3-D Pinwheel Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12321[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-12321.jpe  
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM

That's a super idea. My friend just did somthing like that for a Christmas tree wall hanging.

Thanks C
Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 AM

There is a bow tie pattern that uses a folded square for the center, 5 sqs. all the same size (2 of background and 3 of tie)