Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Ideas-German Quilter >

Fabric Ideas-German Quilter

Fabric Ideas-German Quilter

Old 05-20-2012, 02:48 AM

I don't think you need to send magazines. There are some very good ones in Germany. Also, Germans mostly use the metric system. When I am in the States, I always buy fabric since it is not as expensive as it is here. So, a bunch of fat quarters would surely be very much appreciated!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jean45 View Post
All these suggestions are wonderful but maybe we should be chipping in a few dollars/euros/shekels to pay for the extra checked bags of fabric and gadgets. Just a thought.
Oh don't worry about that - my daughter's friend is in the military so I don't think the extra stuff is a problem with bags. I don't really understand it, but I guess he is training here through our Air Force to become a pilot but in the (I think) German Air Force. He is coming our way next weekend so I will find out more about that. From what I can tell the family isn't hard up, lots of drs and attorneys in the family.

I have to say people are very nice and very generous. That's means to me to pay it forward!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6 View Post
Does this lady have an email address? Start a conversation. You may make a new friend. Ask her what she would like. I am sure she would be very grateful.
Yes and I finally got her email address yesterday! I wouldn't have asked otherwise. I immediately emailed her. Her son said her english is pretty good so now I am waiting to hear. I gave ideas of good thread, blenders, batiks, florals, solids, notions... It will be fun to hear from her.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:34 AM

Please let us know if there is anyway we can help!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:27 AM

I would just ask him what's her favorite color and go from there. I'm sure it'll be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 AM

I have a dear friend that I made during a postage stamp quilt swap in Croatia. She has sent me some absolutely beautiful fabric that is made just down the road from her. She in turn asked for FQ bundles and I referred her to Missouri Star Quilt as they have the most wonderful assortment. She picked out some bright bundles from Hoffman and was very pleased with them. We have since talked, via the 'net, and she asked for magazines as they do not have any. I sent her six copies and she was so pleased. Hope this helps a little although Germany and Croatia may be totally different.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by soozieq2 View Post
The German government prohibits items from being imported from outside Germany for German consumption. This is done to protect German businesses. You would be surprised to see Germans traveling to Italy to buy pasta!!!

To Bad our Goverment doesn't do a better job of protecting our jobs here in this country
Old 05-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Germany is very different from Croatia. As mentioned, fabrics are available there, but not the selection as in the USA. Also they are much more expensive. Currently here in the UK full priced fabrics are £10-13 per metre (about 3" more than a yard - I am just about getting used to metric), and Germany would be about the same. If it were me, I would really appreciate a "traditional American" design, as it is unlikely to be available in Germany, and she might want to make something for her son to remind him of the visit!