Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Ideas-German Quilter

Fabric Ideas-German Quilter

Our daughter has a friend coming to visit from Germany. His mother is a quilter and I would like to send an assortment of cotton fabric back with him. Does anyone know or have any ideas what is popular there?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by girlsfour View Post
    Our daughter has a friend coming to visit from Germany. His mother is a quilter and I would like to send an assortment of cotton fabric back with him. Does anyone know or have any ideas what is popular there?

Thanks!
    I am not in Germany, but am i usually in Poland. The one quilt store I was in in Germany had beautiful fabrics just like any store in the US. If you want to surprise her, that is fine, but if you really want to bless her, just ask. The fabrics were very expensive, in 2007 when we went. Before I went in the store, I decided I had 5 Euros to spend. I think I got about 8" of fabric. I doubt that they have gotten any cheaper.

No, wait. That was Vienna, Austria. But it is similar, I'm sure ibn Germany.

Banned
    The quilts by Germans I've seen at the large international shows seem to have the same type of fabrics as ours.
    You could Google "German quilts" or "German quilters" and look.
    The European quilters I know use American manufactured fabric; and it's very expensive over there.
    Ask her son what colours she prefers and go from there.

I would think that she might prefer to recieve materials more typical for American quilting..something she might not get there. Of course if the fabric is that expensive, just about any nice fabric I am sure would be appreciated. what a wonderful gift idea!

Perhaps a nice pattern and the fabric for a top to make it would be in order (if it's in your budget). That way she wouldn't have to try to figure out what to do with what you send...

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Maybe an assortment of FQ from one line of quilt fabric would be nice. Fabric is very expensive and they like the US brands. Maybe find out what she likes. I know my European relatives like the Hoffman batiks and they like colors.
    Anna Quilts

When I was in Vienna a couple of years ago, I found a fabric shop and they had the same fabric that we have here in America, but it costs about twice as much.

Blog Entries
    Not only are the fabrics in Germany expensive, but depending on the region the LQS are few and far between. I agree with the suggestion of FQ packets. You could find out from the son whether she is a more colorful person or a more reserved person. The gift will be greatly appreciated.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I'm in Germany, The fabric stores are expensive here for Americans but not for Germans as they are paid in the Euro. All the prices are in Euro in Europe and the dollar is down and 1.40 equals a euro fabric in Germany isn't much different from the states but the assortment is much bigger in the states. Ask her what colors she likes and go from there, coffee is huge in Germany so coffee fabric would be fun, they drink coffee like we drink water. All the bottled water on the economy is carbonated. I made our movers a pot of coffee when they were delivering our stuff. Bakeries are huge here we have three in our village. Farming is also an everyday living...trackers are everywhere. Bicycles are used even in the snow here. It is so green as well because there is so much rain. Maybe send fabric that represents the states! Also German quilters do not use cotton thread, poly is the only thing available here. Hope that helps!! Happy Quilting!!!
    *Rachel*

I would get a couple--or more--FQ bundles. Maybe one would be batiks. Then I would get a color that compliments the bundles for background. I would also send a few magazines for ideas. I have some magazines that you can have that are not very old. Just PM me your address and I will send a few. I am betting that American magazines are very expensive, too.
    Sue

I agree with Diannia, You want her to have enough for her project as she would not be able to find it if she ran out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    I'm in Germany, The fabric stores are expensive here for Americans but not for Germans as they are paid in the Euro. All the prices are in Euro in Europe and the dollar is down and 1.40 equals a euro fabric in Germany isn't much different from the states but the assortment is much bigger in the states.
    I live in the netherlands, next to the border with germany.
    Although the euro equals 1.40 dollar the quiltingfabrics still are very expensive to us as they now are around $24,00 dollar a meter ( about 1 yard 2 inch).
    That's at least double the price in america and the euro is NOT double worth a dollar.
    So I would find out which colours she likes, and I suppose about every quiltfabric will be recieved with great joy!!!
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I would go with a line of FQ and send some cotton thread since they only use poly thread there.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Any assortment is always gratefully received by me, as the prices are so expensive here. I think the prices may be similar in Germany, so the lady may possibly feel the same way.

Quilt fabric in Germany is off the chart expensive. If it were me I would send an assortment of blenders and let her buy her focal fabric there.

When I was in Germany the fabric (stoffe) was very expensive especially the "American" brands like Hoffman, RJR etc. A nice selection of co-ordinates would be so appreciated I should think. Your guest may surprise you and enjoy shopping in one of your local quilt shops to help select something for his mother. Most males don't!

Consider how much the items you send will add to the cost of transporting it to Germany. He might have to leave some things out of his luggage to replace it with quilting items. Or maybe ship it on over to her, that would be a pleasant surprise.
    Just a thought.

Do they have the quilting templates, rulers and tools that we have.

I would suggest that you ask. There are patterns and colors suggestive of some countries and cultures that citizens of other countries not having a good relationship with them would find offensive. In some countries colors denote bad things or evil. My DIL's mother asked for a quilt and I made her an Irish Chain using her country's colors. She was thrilled. Ask, then you will know how to shop and it will be easier and more enjoyable for your shopping day.
    Last edited by Jean45; 05-19-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: changed words to make a better sentence

Does this lady have an email address? Start a conversation. You may make a new friend. Ask her what she would like. I am sure she would be very grateful.
    Marie

All these suggestions are wonderful but maybe we should be chipping in a few dollars/euros/shekels to pay for the extra checked bags of fabric and gadgets. Just a thought.

I found the same thing at the shop I visited in Amsterdam. Found some traditional Dutch fabric that is used for costumes at an open market.

I have found shops in every large city in Germany we have visited. Even the small area outside of Berlin where my SIL lives has a well stocked shop. The fabrics are mostly what is available here but approx. $30/meter (Cdn) I believe the only German made fabric is from the Westphalen (sp?) area & used in the costume clothing. (although I did make a quilt from it) I think whatever you choose, she would enjoy as it was a gift from your heart to her.

Blog Entries

trying to wrap my mind around 'no cotton thread' Aurofil is from Italy? and they do not sell to Germany????

I was sure Superior Thread shipped to everywhere on planet (would believe, even the space station)

cannot do without my 'King Tut' for quilting ...................or my kimono silk for applique

wonder if she would rather have good thread?

Suz
    I received an email from Keepsake Quilting and they are presently offering 80 FQ for $99.99. Or, perhaps you could choose a queen-sized quilt kit. And I would chip in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast