Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Manufacturers Quality >

Fabric Manufacturers Quality

Fabric Manufacturers Quality

Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I think no matter how "good" something is - there seems be be something "better" out there.

Make what you want with fabrics you like.

If you are at beginning beginner phase - make a test block or two out of throw-away fabrics to see how it goes together.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM

Interesting thread, I have found that today's fabric is not the same quality as say fabric from 10 or 15 years ago. Then you have to remember that these are not woven designs they are printed. So they start out a run on lesser quality goods to test then up the run to the better quality goods. I love fabric but I would never say that I prefer one over another. Good grief there are plenty of VIP, Cranston, and other old time lines out there that I love. Then using just one line or designer is like using a box of 8 crayons. That is all you have so if you are a beginner that is a great place to start, but then you discover there are more so you begin to mix and match others in till you are using a box of 64 or more colors. Learn about fabric and the fibers that make it up but don't confine your self. I have used all kinds of fabrics from denim and courderoy to velvets and satin depends on what I am making and how I want things to feel. So pick a place to start but know that it is the begining of a long learning experience and what you use and like today will undoubtedly change along the way. Have fun making your mom a quilt and then make yourself one and your best freind, co worker, babies, there are lots of reasons to make a quilt, or like me I just make them because I enjoy the process and maybe I keep it, sometimes gift it, or other times sell it. Just have fun and enjoy.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Buy a yard of your favorite best quality cotton fabric . Then compare all other brands to that one. I have found many fabric brands to be the feel and drape of my favorite.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:30 AM

Yes- please don't over-think your project. It could end up taking the fun out of quilting and that would really be a shame. Quilting is loads of fun!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:49 AM

Just wondering if you have made other quilts. I would not make your mom's quilt your 1st experience. You learn so much in those 1st couple quilts. Even if it's a small project, you should get the feel of different fabrics in your own hands and how easy they are to work with.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by roserips View Post
Interesting thread, I have found that today's fabric is not the same quality as say fabric from 10 or 15 years ago. Then you have to remember that these are not woven designs they are printed. So they start out a run on lesser quality goods to test then up the run to the better quality goods. I love fabric but I would never say that I prefer one over another. Good grief there are plenty of VIP, Cranston, and other old time lines out there that I love. Then using just one line or designer is like using a box of 8 crayons. That is all you have so if you are a beginner that is a great place to start, but then you discover there are more so you begin to mix and match others in till you are using a box of 64 or more colors. Learn about fabric and the fibers that make it up but don't confine your self. I have used all kinds of fabrics from denim and courderoy to velvets and satin depends on what I am making and how I want things to feel. So pick a place to start but know that it is the begining of a long learning experience and what you use and like today will undoubtedly change along the way. Have fun making your mom a quilt and then make yourself one and your best freind, co worker, babies, there are lots of reasons to make a quilt, or like me I just make them because I enjoy the process and maybe I keep it, sometimes gift it, or other times sell it. Just have fun and enjoy.
Where's the "Like" icon..
Old 06-14-2015, 11:33 AM

I’m so sorry! I’ve been sick the past few days and this thread sure has grown!

To answer a few questions, I am new to quilting as in never quilted before, but not new to sewing. I have been sewing clothes for years. I already have a sewing machine.

I have gone to the only LQS in the area and found a few popular names and can attest to the feel of the fabric. So I will start from there when it comes to ordering online.

“Check with your LQS to see if they have groups or guilds that you could talk to about your questions as well.”

That’s a very good idea! I don’t know why I didn’t think of asking the shop owner and employees at the LQS about various fabrics! I’m sure there’s other information they could give me that I haven’t thought to ask about.

I will definitely post about my quilt if not when I start, when I finish!

I'm still reading through the last few pages and all of the advice has been great!
Old 06-14-2015, 11:54 AM

“Just be careful you are not overthinking and limiting yourself to what is out there.”

Thanks for the input! Many posters are agreeing with you and so I will try hard to keep an open mind.

“I absolutely love Art Gallerys fabric. Every piece I have ever gotten felt wonderful, if they had the pattern of fabric I liked I would not hesitate to use their fabrics. I live in No TX so we are in Moda land! A lot of the shops around have several different manufacturers but almost none have Art Gallery fabrics. When I want those I normally order online”

Hey, we’re from the same state and it is definitely Moda land down here too! Good to hear from someone who has had positive experiences with Art Gallery.