Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric moratorium >

Fabric moratorium

Fabric moratorium

Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 AM

Hey Bev and Denise - great you are in!! It's a good group. :D

Denise, come and check out the moratorium update topics if you like: it's where we post how we are all doing. (Bev I know you've found it. :) )
The current topic (February) is here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-95818-1.htm
Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM

Oh NO I couldn't do that. When I am going to the quilt shop I dream about what I am going to buy the night before . I think I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to wait till november, shaking just thinking about it:)
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 AM

As I said before, I won't do that. 1) I want to KEEP our LQS in business, 2) I hate withdrawel symptoms and 3) well, I LOVE buying fabric! I have made things that doing it with my stash is just not going to be right. I don't have enough stash to make something that looks right. And my finished product is important to me.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:15 AM

I'm in till November 1.

Let's see that is almost 6 months.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:51 AM

Well I need to be encouraged to get a handle on this insanity in my life so I am going to jump in even if it is late. I did not see your rules so I guess I should look at them. I am going to try to keep track of in and out and keep in to a bare minimum. I started in February and have kind of let it go by the way as time went on. I am actually selling some of my personal stash. Well I will come back and check in soon.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 AM

I'm in...I've got this down considering I haven't bought fabric since a garage sale last summer and it was a moratorium of no fab from 1996 until then! 14 years of no fabric and I'm pretty much still there. How depressing!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I didn't join the board until March, but I hadn't purchased any fabric since last fall. Here it is May, and I still haven't bought any. I am sooooo tempted by all the sales posted on the board, though. I owe my DGD [almost 2] a quilt and have the sashing and antique blocks. However, I need another focus fabric for the alternate blocks. I think I'll have to piece those in order to not buy fabric.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Thursday, May 19,2011, approximately 12:55 p.m., I failed. I was in Bend, OR in my favorite thrift store. I went in on the premise of finding a decent pot with a lid, ONLY. The sale items that day were pots and pans, craft items and fabrics, 50% off. I couldn't help myself. I had to look through the fabrics. There they were. Three pieces of cotton in lavender, light blue and a light green. They called out to me. I was weak. They were not marked, but I was brave. When I took them to pay for them the clerk she charged me 50 cents each, then applied the discount. I just now measured them, and they are all 1 yard plus 1-3 inches each. Next stop, the washer. So, I got 3+ yards for 75 cents. Not exactly a major score compared to some, but I kept my nose out of JoAnns and Hancocks. Forgive me Noratorium, for I have sinned.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
I didn't join the board until March, but I hadn't purchased any fabric since last fall. Here it is May, and I still haven't bought any. I am sooooo tempted by all the sales posted on the board, though. I owe my DGD [almost 2] a quilt and have the sashing and antique blocks. However, I need another focus fabric for the alternate blocks. I think I'll have to piece those in order to not buy fabric.
The orginal rules were that you could purchase new to complete something you've already started so I think your covered to purchase new.

There have been a few sales that I have purchase backings for tops I already had completed (or at least started) and a few other things that I had committed to make for others that have required me to purchase fabric. I've really cut back on my purchases of fabric but have since started buying vintage sewing machines. Not sure I've saved any money but have reallocated my funds.

I do have to say I love the fact that I'm completing UFO's and using stash, it really helps w/the clutter in my sewing loft.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 AM

fantastic idea, let's get back to thrifty !