Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric moratorium >

Fabric moratorium

Fabric moratorium

Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM

I'm already doing this. My only difference is that if it is for a specific item,such as matching jackets for Olivia and me, I will buy. I stocked up on batting Friday. Shouldn't need any thread for a long time. I want to sew my "room" full of fabric down.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Oh no just came out of one and have been shopping. But best wishes to you and those that join you. I did make several quilts over the last year from sraps only or scraps and then backing from Wally world or the sales rack.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by bj
Are we supposed to show what we've done from our stash? Maybe SOME of us should show pictures of our stashes before and after.
I'm going to. This is going to be history making for me. I'm feeling actually very nice about the whole thing.

And as for folks that say "they can't do"...it's ok. You don't have to DO anything you don't want to. But for me? I'm a sucker for a sale, so if I said "only if it is a really GOOD sale"...heck, I could justify ANYTHING!

I *am* allowing myself trades, because there's no net gain, kwim? ;)

ETA: I was gonna say, perhaps some people are addicted to blue fabric. If you're turning this over in your mind, maybe your "thing" would be to not buy any blue fabric. Or dot fabric. Or stripe fabric.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad
I don't think I could do a complete moratorium but I might be able to do a 3 for 1 deal. That is, for every three pieces of fabric stash I use up I get to buy 1 new piece. Use 3 FQs. Get to buy 1. Use 3 yards of stash fabric get to buy 1yard new fabric. I think I might be able to make it 6 months starting now with the exception of Xmas prints to do my stockings I am giving for presents.

So count me in to the stash busters club on the 3 for 1 plan.
I totally could do this one too... great idea.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 PM

I'm in! I was really, really good this past year. Caved when Roberta was selling her batiks, but I can do this.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:06 PM

Well, I'm out of this one. I don't have a whole lot of stash, so I really do "need" more. I pledge to remain a frugal shopper though.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad
I don't think I could do a complete moratorium but I might be able to do a 3 for 1 deal. That is, for every three pieces of fabric stash I use up I get to buy 1 new piece. Use 3 FQs. Get to buy 1. Use 3 yards of stash fabric get to buy 1yard new fabric. I think I might be able to make it 6 months starting now with the exception of Xmas prints to do my stockings I am giving for presents.

So count me in to the stash busters club on the 3 for 1 plan.
Connecting Threads will miss me but I'm in. I like the 3 for 1 plan. We can use it as a rewards system for our purchases next November.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM

OK I am going to dip my little pinkies in this dangerous water. I made a similar promise to myself this year to just use my stash. I made 12 charity quilts, all single bed 58 x 78 inches, pieced most of the backs and could not see a dent in my stash, I also made 40 small quilts, 26 inches square along with numerous bags, table runners etc etc etc :oops:
THEN the aussie dollar almost reached parity with the US and my darling husband said "you should take advantage of this and buy some fabric" now he didn't specify exactly how much I should purchase. I am just waiting on the last of my parcels to arrive (thank goodness he has left for work and won't be home for a week) as I bought over 100 yards. SO count me in, I am going to delete all e-mails that scream at me to buy buy buy when it is free shipping or 50% off. I don't know if I need a moratorium or an intervention :roll: :cry:
Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Nooooooo! I just started quilting. And I will be moving in the next few months, so I have been thinking about ANY purchases in terms of "Do I really want to move that?". So I don't have much of a stash. And once I move, I'll need to start building one. Of course, I know exactly where to come when I need advice on how to accumulate fabric!!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Oh I NEED to try this but darn, there's no way. I'd just be setting myself up for failure. My husband is no help, either. He suggested our last trip to Borne Quilter in Lafayette, then the crazy guy almost forced me to buy fabric for two purses when he saw a really nice one on display. Who could resist that kind of temptation? Not me certainly. Does this make him an enabler or a pusher?