Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Moratorium Update - Feb 2011

Holding my own here. Working on UFOs and pretending it's new fabric. Just wonder how long I can fool myself. Too afraid to go the fab stores alone. Not sure how strong I am. Using the money I'm saving to send out larger quilts to be quilted.

I used up two gift cards in January because they were just burning a hole in my pocket, but nothing more. I still check Craigslist for sales, and I've found some, but then I ask myself what could I possibly find that I would just have to have? What could possibly be so great that it would make all the fabric I have now pale in comparison? Exactly. Time to sew with the fabric I already have and loved when I bought it.

Staying strong!

Blog Entries
    I am on the Yahoo group "Sewitsforsale". I've really been tempted lately. I read the post, save it for a while, go back read it again and tell myself "I really don't need it. Use what you have." Especially when I have something similar to what they are selling.

Well I am onthe edge... I put some items in my shopping cart ( online) . And have till the endof the day to get the discount. ... I am so wanting to hit the button to confirm ... but am holding strong and not completeing the order. But they are beautiful!! All paisley ... my favorite colors too! This is really a good test of my will power.

I pieced a king sized quilt completely out of scraps/existing fabrics and didn't even put a dent in it. That showed me that I don't need to buy any fabric.

Blog Entries
    I was doing GREAT until EMSGRANNY ***made me*** buy a piece of music fabric from her. It was wonderful and will be used in the 4 quilt tops I make for the high school here.

So *technically* I didn't purchase fabric for **me**. :) :)
    I bought it and am donating it out.

37 days done (today's not over yet)- 328 to go...

Quote Originally Posted by SpotMurphy
    I have been better because I'm on this board than I would have been on my own. I am breaking a very bad habit. I resisted several books that were calling my name just today.
    I kind of wish I had a list reminding me of all the purchases I've resisted since starting this moratorium. Books, dyes, fabrics, more books... I bet it'd make me feel so much better looking through my achievements!!!

Of course I don't enjoy making lists, so... :roll: :-P

This is like the AA of fabric hoarders anonymous, LOL! I probably should have jumped in on this, but I am too weak! Maybe next year...

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Well I am onthe edge... I put some items in my shopping cart ( online) . And have till the endof the day to get the discount. ... I am so wanting to hit the button to confirm ... but am holding strong and not completeing the order. But they are beautiful!! All paisley ... my favorite colors too! This is really a good test of my will power.
    Well this was a huge accomplishment .. I did not purchase any of the fabrics I had loaded into my on-line shopping cart. I am feeling really strong right now.

Well this was a huge accomplishment .. I did not purchase any of the fabrics I had loaded into my on-line shopping cart. I am feeling really strong right now.
    :thumbup:

Good for you, Lori.
    Sometimes it is SO hard to resist. I just think about my current lack of space and that helps.

Shopping my stash to see what I have for a w/h for the living room. Have a feeling I may have to fall off the wagon in order to start/finish the projcet...but I'd only have to buy FQ or half hard. Should be able to bounce right back on the wagon. humph

Well I made it to the middle of Feb. I went to WalMart today to get fabrics for a small lap quilt for a friend. She lost her home (and cats) to a fire last weekend. So-that fabric was a necessity. But while I was looking I saw another fabric on clearance that I have no use for but bought it anyway. Guess that's not too bad.

Pat

Walgreens had fleece throws for $1.99 each. They are 40 X 60 inches. They make fine batting for baby quilts and I needed one right now. I did buy six of them because they were such a bargain. That and one charm pack is all I have purchased. Will try not to buy anything next month.

Dug thru my stash and found LOTS of batiks for project. Guess I may not have to go to JAs after all. Whopee...I think?

I have a plan now for the polka dot fabrics that jumped into my shopping basket a few weeks ago! :-D I guess that still doesn't justify buying them, but I'm very excited about using them . . . now that they have a purpose. Ohhh, I will be good from now on. That's been my only slip so far.

Blog Entries
    I hope I'm doing this right. Thank you for the suggestion to use the library. I love our library and figured out that I was buying quilting books so I'd have the information on how to do things at my finger tips. Well, I have decided I don't need books for that --I have this board's members and tutorials! :-D So I have been strong and not bought any books. I want to thank all of you for your help. Pat/Spot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpotMurphy
    I hope I'm doing this right. Thank you for the suggestion to use the library. I love our library and figured out that I was buying quilting books so I'd have the information on how to do things at my finger tips. Well, I have decided I don't need books for that --I have this board's members and tutorials! :-D So I have been strong and not bought any books. I want to thank all of you for your help. Pat/Spot

Blog Entries
    Nope, I missed all the folks with their helpful suggestions. But thank you.

Doing well so far this month. So appreciative of this group, you are all really helping me stay aware of how much I am resisting and gradually changing my approach to buying!

Followed people's suggestion on here and filled an online shopping cart with some enticing dyes, discharges and such. Didn't buy. Had an email from Dharma Trading customer service a day later, politely enquiring why I hadn't completed my purchase, lol! I told them, Soon, once I'm ready to start actually working with the products. (Which is true.) Better on their shelves than mine, while I'm not doing anything with it yet!!!

Instead I played with making a 20'' chenille square, liked it enough to make it into a pillow. All from stash, including a piece of leftover batting. Will take and post pics in the next couple of days, once I manage to catch a sunny moment between clouds.

Been adding borders to a pair of quilts I'm making as gifts for my parents. Both centers are from my stash. I was planning to buy 4yds of fabric for borders, but then was inspired to play with my stash first and see... I've ended up with some inner borders I really love, and will only have to buy between 1.5 and 2.5yds now for outer borders.

Spent a couple of days cutting strings for a quilt from over 70 fabrics, all from my stash. About 7yds of fabric... yet I can't even see a dent in my greens! At least I know I have enough to border, back and bind this one. :)

Will need to buy batting for these three quilts... unless I have enough leftovers to piece a batting for one of them.

Sorry for the novel!!! Thanks for being here. :D

Okay, I haven't been doing this, in fact just Tuesday I bought a 1 and 1/4 yds of fabric and then on Wednesday went online and bought 2 quilting books and 1 and 3/4 yds fabric, however, I've decided I really need to have a moratorium for awhile. Mine is not a specific length of time - I will try not to buy any new fabric OR START ANY NEW PROJECTS until I have finished the queen quilt I have in progress (for myself), and the memory quilt I am making for a friend. So that could be weeks or months, who knows. :)

Hey, welcome!! Come in and have a cup of tea and a cookie... :D

OK I am going to confess.... It's a big slip.... I bought a whole bolt of fabric. ..... But I did make 4 full size quilts out of scraps prior to this purchase. THis fabric is for a quilt I have been wanting to make for three years. I have held onto the magazine and kept saying someday... someday. So it was not an impulse purchase ... and I purchased it the most $$$ efficent way possible. Time to confess my other issue.... I have a sister with a LQS.... maybe its a good thing she is over 500 miles away .... but I called her and asked her to order it for me ... and it arrived today.
    I will admit/confess after 4 scrap quilts I can not wait to dive into the fresh fabric. The bolt has 10 yards ( not the typical 15) and because of the "family" discount it made it affordable to use the bolt fabric for the background for the top and just have the right amount for the backing as well.
    Forgive me I broke my vow but needed to have this background fabric if I was ever going to make this quilt. I had spent three years collecting all of the other fabrics.... and was a bit burnt on scrap quilts. This one is all paper peiced and will consume me for quite awhile.

Blog Entries
    Ok. I'm officially in this now. We just found out today that we do (actually) have to buy a new car and have no idea on how we're going to pay for it.

I'm in. :D

Boy, this was easy when I had NO money, but now that DH is working again, all i can think about is new fabric so I'm staying away from JoAnn's. I do have to go get backing for three quilt tops, and some batting and spray adhesive. I think I'll go with a good quality muslim for the backs. That should keep costs to a minimum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast