Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011

Blog Entries
    Jacqui- I do the same thing online. I've been looking at a lot of the great sales out there and go and fill my cart with what I want then walk away from the computer for a while. I promptly come back and delete everything. Makes me feel good to not buy all that tempts me. I am so powerful :-) So glad it's working for you too!

although yesterday in my mail "don't leave us" caught my eye. Yes it was from fabric.com noticing that my cart was filled and I did not buy it. I stood strong when they offered me 15% off my purchase. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    Jacqui- I do the same thing online. I've been looking at a lot of the great sales out there and go and fill my cart with what I want then walk away from the computer for a while. I promptly come back and delete everything. Makes me feel good to not buy all that tempts me. I am so powerful :-) So glad it's working for you too!

So far so good. I walked through WalMart fabric dept the other day but didn't even stop. Went to LQS today for our monthly get together and bought patterns but no fabric. So far this year I've made a quilted shawl from a jelly roll that I already had (I did have to buy flannel for the back), a quilted scarf and have 3 baby quilt tops pieced. I'll post pictures of the scarf and shawl on the picture section. The owner of the LQS just laughs when I say to myself over and over "I won't buy any fabric".

Pat

I ordered jelly rolls and backing fabric to play along with the psiquilt postage stamp quilt along.

that was BEFORE the massive clean-out/organization/insurance decision.

I'm all set for the rest of the year. I might need backing/binding/batting -- but I am done purchasing stuff for new projects. period. if I don't have the stuff for that project already, i'll finish something else first!!

I did buy binding fabric and quickly left the store.
    But I have been wanting to buy the kit that is featured on the cover of the Connecting Threads catalog.
    And then yesterday, I received the Hancock's catalog. It is going to be a tough year.

I'm still on the wagon... I did renew subscription to The Quilt Show and I bought a pattern online. But no fabric

Blog Entries
    does it count if my husband bought me some fabric? He bought me the cover page quilt kit from Connecting Threads. :D And some of their clearance fabric. <- without me asking him to.

I only made a 12 yard purchase for fabric for some swaps that I'm in because the swaps struck my fancy - perfect way to get blocks for my friends wedding quilt. :) She loves Asian anything, and so does my one friend who's going through a really bad time.

December was a good month. I didn't purchase any fabric for new projects.

But... I have been shopping. Hancocks had a sale with international shipping for free (and 10% off) so I bought basic supplies that I know I will need this year. Those items included applique needles, rotary blades, batting, and some fabric to add piping and binding to a project that I'm currently working on. I thought I was very restrained. :) The items were shipped on the 22nd of December. So far I have only received the batting. Sometimes it can take 6-8 weeks for items to arrive.

My other purchase was a treadle sewing machine. It is in fantastic condition and I got it for a really good price.

I planned on continuing to make tops, so now I have 2 done and 1 ready to cut tomorrow. I've removed all the threads, washed ironed and folded...but they are screaming to be finished. I know we can buy backing and batting but I am resisting right now. maybe when I finish #3.?

Do any of you feel that you are working more getting WIPs done? I think I am. Could be the snowed in days.

Jennifer,
    Have you received the fabric from Connecting Threads. I, too, like that fabric and pattern and I am trying to not buy it. Please tell me that I don't need it. LOL

I feel like I am getting stronger on resisting temptation... but I am wondering what it will be like when the dam breaks.

We all better get hip waders and floaties..LOL
    I think I will sav some $ a little at a time so I am not in the hole financially. For birthday, valentine, presidents day, ground hog day, arbor day, Easter, 4th of july, first day of school and all the other holidays I will ask for $$$$$$. and hide it away. LOL :-P

Hm I've been dragging my feet and whining softly for a little while. I'm really wanting to finish a few things I know I will love to see completed... yet at the moment I'm sloooow.

Spending too much time on here I guess... probably my surrogate for hunting fabrics!

What are hip waders and floaties?... :)

I just found this thread and missed the first entirely. Is it too late to join in on the moratorium? I tried this last year, but failed miserably by February.

Well -- i don't recall seeing this before. Even though I haven't bought any fabric yet...I WILL be buying some. I am able to afford fabric and I want to support my LQSs.....I want them to succeed during these hard times.

quote=salmonsweet]Hm I've been dragging my feet and whining softly for a little while. I'm really wanting to finish a few things I know I will love to see completed... yet at the moment I'm sloooow.

Spending too much time on here I guess... probably my surrogate for hunting fabrics!

What are hip waders and floaties?... :)[/quote]

you know when the dam breaks and water rushes in you wear hip waders so your feet and above stay dry. an floaties..thise blow up arm bands kids wear whilelearning to swim

That is good for you you can buy buy buy. there are some of us that can't buy buy buy. No LQS will close because I am not there. remember soe of us do not have an option at this time. :-(

never to late to join...Just make your own rules an what to do. and come her for moral support.

Thank you great aunt jacqui......the only rules for myself are 1-no buying of material and #2 - Except when the wal-mart dept. in circleville goes on it's way out and I can get it for at least 1/2 off! (was told they were going out in spring, if it's true and I can afford to, I will get what I can!)

Quote Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
    you know when the dam breaks and water rushes in you wear hip waders so your feet and above stay dry. an floaties..thise blow up arm bands kids wear whilelearning to swim
    ah of course, duh! Thank you :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by stpatmom
    Thank you great aunt jacqui......the only rules for myself are 1-no buying of material and #2 - Except when the wal-mart dept. in circleville goes on it's way out and I can get it for at least 1/2 off! (was told they were going out in spring, if it's true and I can afford to, I will get what I can!)
    Welcome to the club stpatmom! :D

thank you! I'm glad to be a member!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bell
    Jennifer,
    Have you received the fabric from Connecting Threads. I, too, like that fabric and pattern and I am trying to not buy it. Please tell me that I don't need it. LOL
    It's on the way.. I should have it by Tuesday because of the holiday on Monday.

Well ... I haven't bought any yet this year, but I did answer a "freecycle" ad for a bag of scraps from a local drama department. Been thinking about a crazy quilt or a texture quilt with these lovely unusual fabrics!

I've made 4 baby quilt tops from my stash. Haven't looked for backs yet, but babies like color right? I've got lots of color.

Pat

Haven't bought any fabric, but am sewing up some squares of double knits that my mom cut up more then 20 years ago before she passed away. Will probably need to purchase some flannel for the back, but have several more quilt tops I can make before I break down and do that. I'm surprised at how bright and cheerful those saturated colors are!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast