Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Moritorium Challenge >

Fabric Moritorium Challenge

Fabric Moritorium Challenge

Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 PM

Sounds great...I'll mark it in my calendar.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:25 PM

Hello Everyone,
I've been at mom's and she doesn't have internet so have been off line for a couple of weeks.
I have just been reading all the posts. Some of you have come up with some interesting variations.
To help you all along here are some other ideas. If you usually spend $50, $100? a month, why not set it aside and use it for that trip to a show that you have been wanting to go to: Paducah?, Houston?, Japan?
Trading with a friend for a fabric you need, for one she/he needs. No money is spent but you may be able to get what you need.
Think of the space you could have to function in your sewing space, have room for new fabrics next year, finish all those UFO's, PHd's, WIP's, PIGS, etc.
I, too, had a Christmas gift card and used it for batting and thread and to finish a wallhanging for mom. My stash is currently 250 miles away.
I cleaned my sewing room (just before Christmas) and probably have enough scraps for at least 12 scrap quilts. I have so many WIP's, and UFO's it is embarassing.
One of my DDs gave me 11 quilting books for Christmas from my Amazon wish list. Now I have more pages of ideas for new quilts.
Keep going ladies and gents.
Kateyb
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Just down in the sewing room, while dh watching football, went thru all my sorted bins looking for civil war material, I have l lg tote all christmas, l lg tote all batting, l lg tote all scraps, med totes of easter thanksgiving fourth of july st pats day, lg tote of all animal prints,and my flannels, thats not counting my stacked cubbies that are full of material sorted by color, l box with my block of the months waiting to be sewn. I don't need to buy anymore material for a long time. And yes I found my civil war material, need it to attempt an underground quilt.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Well, I had to go and buy more background fabric for a quilt in progress. Shocked that they still had the fabric, but grateful. Other than that, it's been two weeks and I'm still in.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:46 PM

I went to a quilt shop today to sign up for some classes and didnt buy anything except the classes
Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 AM

For those of you who resisted buying fabric, HOORAY!!! For those who caved in-don't feel bad just keep trying to resist the next time.
I brought some of my scraps to mom's and did 28 blocks for 2 different scrap quilts. Feels good to use up some of that stash.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by cheaha39 View Post
My quilting friends and I are trying to get healthy, walking and watching what we eat. We are not buying fabric until we loose some weight. For each 5 pounds an individual looses, as a reward, she can and will buy $25.00 of fabric.
Sounds good to me!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

i am actually doing better than i thought i would with this- (i know-its only half way through January)
but i am using my stash! my hubby even 'stopped by' the sewing room yesturday while i was working on my next project- and said to me---well-maybe you should just make a trip to the quilt shop and get some.....
i replied---but i want to use what i have- i have so much- he reminded me- yes you have alot of fabric- but you don't have what you were looking for---
then he reminded me i also have a gift certificate i received for Christmas-for a shop i've never visited - maybe it's time...
i replied---well maybe
he left the room i dug somemore- and found something that will work----and continued with my project- i'm going to save the gift certificate until i really need something---
and i think this next quilt is going to really be a (jaw=dropper!) being *forced* to 'get creative' and use what's available instead of shopping with a plan pic's will be coming soon and my check book is happy -- and i finally cut into some fabrics that have been stacked up-pretty- unused for 3 years---and- i'm using up some much older scraps- that started making quilts 7 years ago-and have made 5 so far---now going into a 6th---this is a great 'challenge!"
Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 AM

WoW you all are doing great.....CK that would have been a hard invitation for me to turn down, husband inviting you to go to QS....very proud of you.
Moonglow,Losing weight=getting to buy fabric,,,,,I should try that to quit smoking.
I am still good so far, no new fabric bought.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 AM

Well, I have been good also, no new fabric. But, I don't count thrift store fabric, it isn't NEW. I bought a big duvet cover (they are great for 1 piece backings) yesterday at Goodwill for $1.29. The fabric for each side measured out to about 6.75 yards, so I paid about ten cents a yard. I don't think that would fall into the Moratorium do you?