Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Moritorium Challenge

Im in like others dont know if I can do it and I know I will have to get batting at some stage as well but I will do my very best to follow the rules

Blog Entries
    do u turn down fabric that is given to u? when I go visit my ex husbands aunt she wants to give me half of her fabric, Ive told her I dont need it but i dont want to hurt her feelings
    Live, Laugh & Love, for tomorrow may never come.
    Veronica

I was already thinking along these lines anyway as my sewing room is going to explode if I don't do something about it soon. I have 1 top almost assembled already since Christmas just using up "stash" stuff. Not sure what I will do with the quilt but it looks better in quilt form than fabric. I can't wait to hear how everyone does.
    Michelle

I so want to join in on this... but I'm afraid that I am still in the honeymoon stages of quilting... Only been doing this about a year.... and even though I have inherited so much fabric from my MIL and friends, I don't want to give up roaming the quilt shops yet. SO - here is what I can do... I will organize my stash into a way more usable state - and I will use some stash fabric for every single piece I make in 2012. Maybe even all of my backs...
    I got fabric.... Now I need time .
    Theresa

I, too, am in. I have already finished two quilts this year!! woo hoo. They were done on the 31st except for binding. One was from my scrap bin (the front) with a pieced backing, all from my stash. The other is a Halloween quilt, all from the stash. Now, I'm working on finishing a top that is a UFO, a top that I"ve appliqued all the blocks and it needed me to dye a piece for the sashing (done yesterday), and a kit (who knows when/where it was acquired???) that is also a UFO. Then, maybe, I can make something new? but from the stash. Then, back to the UFO's.

Blog Entries
    i'm in on this, also. my daughter gave me a gift card to a local fabric shop for Christmas. i'm going to try to use that for batting, though.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I'm in, but it's going to hurt!!!! I need to stick to a better budget anyway, as my sub teaching jobs are thinning out and I simply don't want to add schools. Lots of retirees are getting first dibs, so I've decided to make it work on a more limited budget. Kicking the fabric habit will help--I've got enough fabric for two years' worth of clothing items and at least 10 quilts!!!!!

I am in. Although thru November is a long long time for I might exercise the "Some can do variations such as only 3 months, or a GREAT sale."

Also, I may join in if I may on loosing 5 lbs, I can pay myself $25 for my stash fund. that should encourage me, but I fell down the stairs last nite, head first. oak does not move, so exercising is out for a few days! Too sore to go shopping, but I had planned on this year being very frugal and just working out of my stash. So yesterday I put together a tumble quilt, I don't have any fabric for the border!So I will put that back and wait for the right fabric to appear. Seriously I am budgeting myself for the new year. So I AM IN!

Blog Entries
    I need to make this promise since I am destashing anyway. It would help. But, ohhhhhhhh, its so hard. Almost as hard as going on a diet!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    to QUIT buying fabric is harder than to quit smoking!
    I am really going to try...but with so many shops closing, it is going to be hard!
    I am with you Jacquie. I am also trying to quit smoking. I WILL!! My reward will be to keep track of the $$$$ I will be saving and use the $$$ for LQS fabric. My reward for success. I hope that doesn't disqualify me from the moratorium.
    Sweet Caroline

I am in! I made my last purchase for a quilt for my sister on Dec 30 - I have no traditional fabrics so had to buy all. The ladies all laughed at my resolution and are sure i will be back.

On the way out I spied a gorgeous batik that I am dying to have. I will use that for my losing weight reward since it has been made clear to me I HAVE to lose weight and get in shape. (I thought quitting smoking was easier than losing weight!)

I went into withdraw just reading this.

I am in.. I started working on stash in October and was amazed that what I had on hand, that fit my needs. Also, working on my batting supply...I really think I will have enough thread for 4 - 6 months....will use fabric groups on had for Sulbug BOM Calendar Quilt ...Looking forward to a fun 2012

Judy in Phx

I'm in. Except I am going to visit my DD and SIL in may and we are going to the big quilt show in Denver while I am there. So I get one free pass . Okay?

I am in -- except for using the gift card from DH (that is free $$ -- right???). I will save it for something I can't live without . Do rotary blades count as notions?
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I'm in, except I know I'll fall off the wagon once in a while.
    Rules of Life:1-Don't take anything personally 2-Integrity of words and deeds 3-Don't make assumptions 4-Do your best

Blog Entries
    I am in. I have been trying to avoid buying fabric lately, but I kept running into great online sales. The only solution is to delete those emails without even opening them....wouldn't that be rude? LOL.

I am trying to clear out all the UFO's and trying to use up the stash I have. I did buy some new silky material for making scarfs but am trying not to buy any quilting material.

Yes, please do. I need some fabric to fill in what I've started. I'm counting that in my moratorium.

Blog Entries
    I'm in! I don't think I will live long enough to sew through everything I have!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    OMG! So many of you with such great ambitions. This would not work for me, It's easy to pass sales at Jo Ann's, but our LQS has been having some fantastic offers. They aren't too frequent, new season shift I suppose, but good fabrics, my styles, and reasonable prices. Then, there will be the meet-ups, Expos, and shop hops. Nope, this is one wagon train I have to just wave at and wish all good luck on their journey.

Blog Entries
    This is exactly what I need to stay out of Joann's, so let me say I WILL TRY, I WILL TRY, I WILL TRY.

I'm in, not only because I really need to do stash reduction, but we've had a serious income reduction since August when dh's job was outsourced. It's forcing me to be creative in area other than just quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by cheaha39 View Post
    My quilting friends and I are trying to get healthy, walking and watching what we eat. We are not buying fabric until we loose some weight. For each 5 pounds an individual looses, as a reward, she can and will buy $25.00 of fabric.
    I love this idea!!!! I may need to give myself the same rule!!!

I have watched this board for a while and now am ready to put my name in print to say ----I am in!!! It was a job to organize the fabric and got really excited about all the possibilities of quilts to come from there without the $$ factor.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast