Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Mover/Free motion assistant? >

Fabric Mover/Free motion assistant?

Fabric Mover/Free motion assistant?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:19 PM

The photo is a quilt that I for my niece's little bundle. The rose is paper piecing. I think I would have fared better with a microscope to stitch the center pieces though.
Here is a photo a little closer up of the rose. I should have taken one even closer to show the detail. I am working on another one in yellow and lavender for my grandaughter.
Thanks so much for the compliment!!

Closeup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80498[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80493.jpe  
Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Bought one new from dealer almost 3 years ago. It was just great for very small projects. I told dealer that I was interested in bed size quilts. One day while attending a class at the dealers (a class I paid for) I asked just how large of a quilt had they done with the set up. My salesperson said: Oh I've done a queen size. So I said that obviouslyt she knew something I didn't and that I'd like to come in and see it in action. Next time I was in the store the manager approached me and offered to take the Fab-u-jmotion and stitch regulator back and to give me a 100% refund. I returned it the next day. It has since been discontinued by Viking. I found it absolutely frustrating for anything bigger than 30" X 30" or maybe a table runner.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by piledriver
,,, I found it absolutely frustrating for anything bigger than 30" X 30" or maybe a table runner.
Yes it is a struggle if you try anything large. But I make my quilts in sections, sort of a variation of QAYG so it works for me.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:12 AM

I have one that I paid way too much for. As others have said, it's fine for smaller projects. I also have trouble when I get to the edge of the quilt. Maybe I haven't used it enough. Lately I've been practicing my free motion quilting without the regulator and I think that's the way I'll go with the two quilts I just sandwiched.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Me personally think you are better off saving your money and practicing. Many people think stitch regulators will automatically make them better FMQ but that just isn't so. There is nothing that practice won't help and with all the tutorials out there, I would spend my money on fabric. You can get a nice machine for the price of that thing. maybe try that Quilt along with sewcalgal to improve your FMQ skills. You can get machingers and a slider for about 30 bucks and believe me those really help. I have not tried the bobbin washer yet though so can't comment (http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/free...challenge.html)
Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 AM

My setup is a strait stitch 9 in throat machine on a long arm frame. I paid $500 for a stitch regulator and it does help alot.
Just wish I could afford a long arm machine but this will just have to do. Cannot do block designs since the space to quilt is only about 4 inchs.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 AM

I am sure that you can do free motion quilting without the added cost of this fabric mover. It does take some practice and if you can take a few classes it would be money better spent. This is my opnion only.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

What is a fabric mover?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM

It is a large attachment to your machine with a square hole that you stitch inside of. You move the attachment and it moves the hole around as you stitch the section inside the hole. It is not well liked and they have lowered the price on it.
Had not heard that it was still available.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 AM

I just bought a used one but no instructions came in the box. Could someone email me the instructions? I have th Pfaff one with stitch regulater. Thanks, [email protected]