Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric for One Block Wonders? >

Fabric for One Block Wonders?

Fabric for One Block Wonders?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 AM

thanks everyone, I appreciate all the good advice!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I guess I never thought about that... I just grabbed bolts and unfolded them on the cutting tables that weren't used or anywhere else in the store so that I could see the repeats... So far no one has objected :wink: 8)
Old 10-17-2009, 07:08 AM

My favorite quilt shop staff has even suggested that I take the bolt out of the store for natural light to make sure the colors are what I need to match. Quilt shops should be a fun place to visit (Especially as much $$$ as we spend.) If the staff isn't pleasant and helpful, the shop probably won't last.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:13 AM

Finding the repeat is quite simple. Look along the selvage edge to see an easily identifiable section of the print. then look down the length of the fabric until you see that same section - that's your repeat length. If you're making hexagons - you need 6 repeats or if octagons - then you need 8 repeats. I always buy more so have enough for whole border sections. I don't usually know when I buy the fabric if I'll use the original fabric for the border, but I buy it then, to make sure I have it if I need it. Also buying a hinged mirror (mine is made by Collins), is very helpful to decide if a fabric you're considering would be a good choice or not, to make kaleidoscopes. If ordering online and they don't tell you the repeat length, send an e mail to ask, or include that you need 6 repeats or whatever , when you place the order. I've done that and they sent me an email back that there wasn't enough to send me 6 repeats. In one of the books for OBW, they mention to not use a fabric that has more than 6 colors, because they don't work well. Wrong, I used a fabric that had more than 14 colors and it's wonderful. The print is the main thing to look for and preferably make sure the background is not a solid color, or if it is, there shouldn't be very much in comparison with the printed area. The background should have swirls of color or the fabric shouldn't have a background, in other words it should be all print. None of the fabric stores I shop in, complain when you ask to unroll a bolt to see the repeat length. If they did, I wouldn't go there again.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:59 PM

The best fabric to use is one with lots and lots of motion and several colors. 12 to 24 in repeats are the most bang for the buck... you will get a bigger quilt out of a 24 inch repeat.

If you are shopping on line and can't tell the repeat size send and email most companies will get back to you on the repeat size.

Hancock-paducah and equilter.com have done this for me on several occassions.

You can also go to a home improvement store and get two piecse of glass cut and use duct tape to put them together to make the "special mirror" that is sold to tell if the fabric will work well.

Good luck they are very beatiful quilts when done.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:48 PM

When I go to my LQS the clerks happily help me choose a fabric. Many of them have made this type of block and they know what to look for in pattern, color, etc.

You won't get help like that at chain stores such as Joann's, Walmart, etc.